HDM stepper motor equivalent

I have a 2.2kw ATC on the way and need to run a Z axis brake and I have 2 options and need some input.

I have a Teknic nema 23 brake for when I switch to clear path servos next year but it’s a 3/8" shaft and I don’t know if I can get a 8mm to 9.525mm adapter made as it would only be .7625mm wall thickness

I can easily mod a 8mm coupler for the ball screw connection Spring Applied Power-Off Brake: NEMA 23 | Teknic, Inc.

So do I try to make an adapter and run the Tecnic brake or try to find a nema 23 with a brake that would work.

I found a 3nm stepper with a brake but since Carbide won’t give us the specs I am not sure if I could swap it in.

My gut says try to make the brake I have work but if this stepper could be a drop in replacement it would help others that want to add a brake to their Z axis for a WAY better price.

I’m hoping someone knows if the HDM steppers are 1.8 degree or .9 degree and can point me in the right direction.

A DPDT relay in series with the 2 motor windings would probably prevent spindle drop with power off if the normally closed contacts are used to short out the windings. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.