HDPE feed for 1 inch surfacing

Does anyone have a recommended feed for surfacing HDPE with a Whiteside 6210, 1 inch, 3 wing surfacing bit?

The recommended speed is 18k but I could not find any information on Whiteside’s site about feeds for various material.

Assuming a shallow depth, go as fast as you feel comfortable on your machine. HDPE cuts easily and you don’t want to hear it up, so feed really fast.

1 Like

The last setup used for my 1" Whiteside bit was 12K RPM, 80IPM feed, 8 IPM plunge (bit is non-center cutting ramping would be best), 50% stepover. I ran around 150% on the override once I was comfortable. Taking 0.020" passes to remove the minimum amount possible, I was starting from a textured surface. I did a raster rather than a pocket, its faster and I think it looks better. Will push it faster next time but it was a new bed material so I was cautious but avoiding re-melt. Dust collection recommended plastic chips stick to everything.

1 Like

Go to whiteside’s site to get email address. Send them question and they will answer about F&S.

Here’s the information I got back from Whiteside:

Chipload: .002”
RPM: 15,000
IPM: 100

1 Like

Being a little new to all this, is chip load defined by the other two parameters?

My Shapeoko 3 has the Carbide 3D router and has a setting for 14K RPM. Should I decrease the feed rate proportionally?

those two and the number of flutes:

chipload = (feedrate) / (RPM x #flutes)

(here: 0.002" = 100 / (15000 x 3)

to maintain the same chipload if you are at e.g. 14k instead of 15k, you should therefore decrease the feedrate:

new feedrate = 0.002" x 14k x 3 = 84ipm

Not that it matters a lot in HDPE (a.k.a “butter”)

2 Likes

With the settings listed above I started at a chip load of 0.002" and with the override brought it up to 0.003". The machine was very happy, no stresses for my 3XXL. This is a hobby for me so pushing hard for cycle time is not my objective. Larger milling machine reference tables suggest chip loads of 0.014-0.017" for HDPE. If you have issues with melting chips, go faster or reduce the spindle speed (either or both) to increase the chip load.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.