HDZ and 2.2kw spindle adventure began today. πŸ™‚

I had wanted to move away from using my trim router and get a spindle. My standard sized Shapeoko SO3 has cut aluminium previously but a spindle would be more effective. Having looked at many spindles, I was not sure about my abilities to correctly plumb in a VFD.

I also could see that the Z plus upgraded Z axis on the SO3 would not be likely to support a large spindle. I had already decided on a spindle with an ER20 collet size so that I could accommodate cutters up to 13mm (Β½") in shank size.

Having ordered an HDZ beefier Z axis, I started to shop around. I have found a near turnkey solution and my spindle and VFD will hopefully be fitted by end of May. The first job after taking apart the Z plus axis and saving the parts listed in the HDZ instruction manual, was to clean the machine and run a little maintenance. All dust and swarf removed and rail v shaped bearing surfaces were cleaned with Acetone.
I had a maintenance kit and changed the Gates GT2 Belts for new ones. This will help when setting up the HDZ once the spindle arrives and can be installed.

I took today’s maintenance opportunity to loosen each rail slightly and check for squarness and fitness. I have assembled mosts of the HDZ unit now. There are just a few wires to attach. and the spindle of course. I will post pix here as and when they become available.

4 Likes