HDZ & Bitsetter - height issue after tool change (random)

I upgraded to the HDZ a few weeks ago (from the Z-Plus). I’m getting this weird issue where on a tool change the new tool will not be at the right height. It will either be too high or too low relative to 0, almost like the new parameter did not sent to the board. It doesn’t happen every time, but it’s happened enough for me to notice now.

I did make a few other changes. I added a spindle, but this happened with my Dewalt installed, so I don’t think that is related. I’m not losing steps in other places (thinking EMI from the spindle) and spindle is not running during a tool change.

I updated my macro with the new coordinates for the bitsetter, no other changes. I run CNCjs, but that has not changed, same program I was running with the Z-Plus.

These are my Z parameters. I updated $102 and $122 based on what I found in the forums. $112 was unchanged from the Z-Plus.

$102=320.000 (Z-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$112=1000.000 (Z-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$122=200.000 (Z-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)

What sucks is it’s random. Sometimes it works perfectly, do the initial tool length, start a job, do the tool changes and all it good and as expected. Other times the tool change (or maybe the initial tool set) doesn’t get recorded, or steps get lost somewhere. But only on a tool change - not when the job is running.

Has anyone experienced similar? Any ideas?

Possible culprits:

• disconnect between how origin is set in file, and how zero is set relative to the stock
  • changing a tool w/o using the interface
  • the Probe operation being confused by a ground lead touching a BitZero
  • mechanical interference
  • lost steps on rapid retract due to insufficient lubrication
  • lost steps due to loose fastener on coupler
  • wiring fault, possibly intermittent and only occurring at certain positions/heights

Let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.