HDZ Install/Use Question

Installed my HDZ and have a question about running the Z up and down or vice versa. The particulars are:
ShapeOko XXL
HDZ install manual 3.3
CM Build 513
Settings:
Size XXL
Z-Axis Type HDZ, Full X Travel (Ballscrew) This is not in the install manual that I could find.
GBRL Version 1.1f

The machine homes perfectly with a nice smooth Z travel. However, each time I ran Z to the lower limit, which it does just fine, and then tried to raise it, it makes a ratcheting noise for the first bit of travel back up. If you don’t lower the Z all the way to the bottom, it doesn’t make this ratcheting noise.

Before installation I checked to see if I could move the Z travel by hand, which I could, but I didn’t go all the way through the full travel as it is tight to turn.

Forgot to mention that the Z does lose it’s place during the ratcheting.

Any suggestions?

Yep,

Call support.

Sounds like the ballscrew is binding up at the bottom of the travel, the ratcheting is likely just the Z stepper missing steps.

2 Likes

Yes, that was it. I loosened the HDZ rails, ran the Z up and down a few times and tightened it all back up. Smooth as silk now!

Thank you for the response @LiamN

3 Likes

Great, you got it fixed nice and quick.

1 Like

This setting is for an HDZ without the Suckit Dust Boot or any dust boot that does not restrict the full movement of the Y Axis. If you have a Suckit Dust boot then select the other HDZ option which keeps the HDZ from banging the wings of the Suckit into the Y Tubes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up on that Guy. I use a Sweepy that I’m really pleased with, but it’s good to have a better understanding of the inner workings.

When I upgraded to the HDZ I asked the same question. Someone from the forum answered. I really like the Carbide3d products, the customer service and the forum but documentation is lacking. I dont know who writes the install guides but I would guess the people that engineered the product. Sometimes when you design a product you start assuming every one else knows what you know about the product. Carbide3d needs to hire a good technical writer to cover installs from the customer point of view rather than an engineers point of view. Just saying.

1 Like

I worked for a company for many years where the lead programmers wrote the manuals, what a battle to get that changed! Fortunately, I was able to successfully argue that writing a better manual would decrease tech support calls, which it did.

The good news for us is that we have this great community where must solutions are only a few minutes away!

1 Like

I am old enough to remember when “Technical Author” was a job…

OTOH as you say, we have the community but also Wikis and Julien’s e-book

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.