HDZ/Suckit Users - Addressing rapid coordinates X bouncing

And that would make sense why I’m inputting bit setter coordinates into CM to begin with. And I suppose its another reason I need to test out another sender. For as wonderful and straight forward as CM is, it’s the little things that lack control options. Thanks for the explanation. And thanks for the correction @WillAdams!

2 Likes

Yes. Exactly. I cannot jog MANUALLY low enough, there remains a considerable margin of spare travel left at the bottom of the HDZ. I didn’t look at what the Z value was - but an educated guess says it will match the original Z travel. It looks like with the HDZ unselected in Carbide Motion, even with the HDZ configuration settings sent to the controller, that Carbide Motion is restricting the Z range. I haven’t tried running any G-code yet to see if the full Z range is functional then - might do that tonight.

I see. Well if there are built-in Z restrictions inside CM itself and it overrides $132 (I’m surprised, but maybe so), you’ll be left with the option of moving to another G-code sender (hint: you might like CNCjs)

But it’s still strange that the same workaround seems to work for others (@luc.onthego ?) , and that @Luke would have included setting $132 to 150 in the original post, if it had no effect when used with CM…

I am currently trying out CNCjs, coincidently. The machine works just fine with the same configuration as I had updated for CM…

Interesting, so there is indeed a hardcoded min Z limit in CM.
If you are trying out CNCjs, you will like @neilferreri probing macro for the C3D probe.

I’m now using CNCjs with a Raspberry Pi4 - got the probing macros, everything is working flawlessly. It is a very nice upgrade. The only thing I don’t like about CNCjs is the lack of a continuous jog function…rather than repeated key presses.

2 Likes

I feel you. That’s the one grudge I had about CNCjs. I geeked out and developed a pendant for CNCjs that implements smooth jogging, but it’s based on a specific piece of harware. If you are not afraid of a little coding, it should possible to implement a smooth jogging pendant based on regular keyboard commands.

1 Like

@Julien - I saw your post on the pendant, nice work. A little coding has never deterred me from a project, but as I get older I have developed a more effective “new project” filter that keeps me from taking everything on at once! Sometimes I would rather spend money than time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need to get me one of those, sooner rather than later :slight_smile:
(because right now I’m tempted to go and check CNCjs code to see what it would take to implement smooth jogging)

3 Likes

@Julien - While you’re at it Julien, see what it would take to use a remote keypad, like the one
Myers demonstrates. :grin:
I use that all the time on Carbide Motion and it would be great on CNCjs

1 Like

Well, if you are talking about this video, that’s not even a challenge, someone already did it :slight_smile:

It does not implement smooth jogging though. If anyone is interested I can try adding it in.

Does that work in a Windows environment? It seems like it’s for a Raspberry Pi

Theoretically, it can work in a windows environment, one “just” needs to install Node.js framework.
In practice, I tried, lost an evening trying to make it work, then went back to my comfort zone (linux/raspberry), and got the environment working in minutes…

If I were to mod CNCjs for Windows, I would most probably directly hack the CNCjs source code itself, not add a pendant. I already successfully rebuilt the CNCjs app for Windows from source, so I know it’s doable. But diving into the full CNCjs source code and figuring out where to insert the hack, now that’s a different story (a.k.a. “hey let’s see if I can do this…[a few moments later]…hey where did the week-end go?”

1 Like

Yes. I’m interested.

1 Like

Ok then! It may take a little while (life gets in the way) but I’ll have a look at it. Are you using any specific wireless keyboard? (the one from the video?)

I am certainly interested. You da man!!!

1 Like

Are you insinuating life is more important than CNC? That’s just pure blasphemy! :grinning:

2 Likes

I happen to use that exact keyboard shown in the video…

1 Like

I also have the exact same one from Myers video.

1 Like

I posted the results in my experiments in a separate thread.