Heavy cut into the bed

Help! New guy here. Everything has been going pretty well, but today as the cutter got to the bottom of the cut out (contour pass) the spindle just dove into the bed and cut a ramped cut through the waste board and into the aluminum track.
I am not sure what is causing this rapid ramped cut. It is a single cut that goes almost an inch deep into the waste board table. It definitely did not cut the .06" depth of cut per pass as was programmed.
I am stumped on this one nand don’t waqnt to keep cutting up my table.
David

Was the endmill pulled out of your router/spindle at all?

1 Like

I suspect Neil is correct here. Can you share a photo of the cut?

1 Like

No, it was still flush with the back end of the collet.

This happened twice, the first time was the straightaway on the left, and the second time is the curved end.

Does your Z-axis have any play in it? Can you move it by hand, when powered?
Which Z do you have, by the way?

If everything is mechanically sound, then one thing to consider is tooling engagement — were you cutting a slot just as narrow as the tool? Add geometry and cut as a pocket down to tab height or the penultimate pass.

I am not sure how to answer that one. I have a shapeoko 5 pro with a variable spindle. I will have to check the gantry to see if there is any play in the housing. Nothing overtly noticeable.

Yes, I was doing a contour cut to cut out the piece from the main stock.

So you have the HDZ…is the shaft coupler loose?

1 Like

Thanks for the help. the HDZ seems tight and there is no play in the shaft coupler. When I removed the 1/4" bit (#201) it was about 3/16 deeper in the collet than where I usually tighten it in, flush with the back (small end) of the collet.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.