Hello World issue z-plus

Brand new, just got setup and went to do the hello world tutorial using carbide motion.

followed the tutorial https://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/hello-world the issue is the z-axis moved down to far and is forcing the marker down hard so it is dragging. other videos i’ve seen on the tubes seem like they are just touching the surface, where mine is like an over eager toddler smashing their crayons on the coloring book pages. do i need to “zero” higher off the page? i’ve tried it twice with the same results.

Am i missing something?

You just need to have a really easy touch when you set your Z-zero. It really doesn’t look that bad, just back off of you Z-zero just a little. Looks great for your first try! You didn’t break anything.

4 Likes

I would try tightening the zip-ties as well.

3 Likes

What you can do also to double-check your Z-zero is, after you set it, jog up a few inches, then jog back down (slowly/using small increments at the end) to the surface and check that Z still reads close to 0.0

3 Likes

Also, since you have a Z-plus machine I’m curious now: what do the installation instructions say about the initial machine setup in Carbide Motion ?

In the latest CarbideMotion I can download (430), there is no “Z-plus” option in the configuration menu, so I would guess that the instructions say something about adjusting $102 parameter manually using the MDI?

After you zero, if you jog up by 10 times 1mm, and check how high you actually are (with a ruler), does it look like you are about 10mm from the surface ?

Sorry for this longwinded way to say that maybe, if for some reason $102 is not what it should be, the G-code instructions in the Hello World instructions that are supposed to send the pen down by only 0.01", would actually move the Z axis by more than that.

If this confused you, please ignore this post completely, I often make complicated guesses for something that turns out to be a much simpler problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

thats probably some of my issue, the instructions that came with my machine did not have info for the Z-Plus, so i question if i set it up right. I did send a email to support, just waiting on a response.

In Motion, there is a option for Z-plus on the config, which i did set

Interesting, what version of CM are you using ?

My version 430 does not have a Z-plus option

(side note, the “Available Here” link in the bottom left is teasing me about a version 431, but clicking the link does not seem to do anything)

May I ask that you go in the Settings windows, open Log, then go to the MDI tab, type in $$, send, and capture the full list of $xxxx values? I’m curious like that.

Note that it’s normal that the Z-plus install instructions are still a little rough around the edges, you’re on the bleeding edge with that Z-plus option :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent. I guess they must send a specific version/link to Z-plus owners (in which case, don’t post it here, they have their reasons). In that case, it’s all good config-wise.

(still curious as to what your $102 value is, just so I know)

Did you ever get a full list of the MDI tabs??

if you mean GRBL params, the recent version of CM (I tested on 508, we’re now at 511) sends these params when “Z-plus” is selected:

$0=10
$1=255
$2=0
$3=2
$102=200
$112=1000
$122=270
$132=95
$4=0
$5=0
$6=0
$10=255
$11=.02
$12=.01
$13=0
$20=0
$21=0
$22=1
$23=0
$24=100
$25=2000
$26=25
$27=3
$30=1000
$31=0
$32=0
$100=40
$101=40
$110=10000
$111=10000
$120=500
$121=500
$130=845
$131=850

which answers my previous question about what $102 is for a Z-plus (200), versus a stock Z (40), versus an HDZ (320). Not that this is particularly interesting to know about.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.