Help choosing dust extraction

@Afterhourswoodshopp In my research, I read that the CT15 wouldn’t have enough power to keep up with the CNC. That you would would need to go bigger. That is why I ruled that one out. Can it keep up with MDF?

1 Like

I don’t cut much mdf, other than my waste board that I have flattened, but the bit I use is too large for my pwncnc dust boot. I’ve had zero issues cutting hardwoods.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that the CT15 has the same CFM rating as the MINI and MIDI, which are only a handful of CFM less than the CT26 and above series. It’s the same vacuum, but without a “hose garage” and the ability to mount their stupid SYS boxes. It also does not have Bluetooth, or the ability to add a factory Bluetooth module. You could easily add an aftermarket controller. Quite the disparity in price.

I have a few Festool vacs. If I were to ever buy another, it would only be the CT15.

The festool vacs and similar create less noise at the machine, but I find, at least with regards to the CNC, the majority of noise originates from air disturbance at the dust shoe; regardless of vac manufacturer.

Personally, I think any shop vac or dust Collection system with decent power, a filter bag and hepa filter, and a inline dust separator, is perfectly adequate for the Desk top CNC task.

3 Likes

I will note that I have an older CT Midi which doesn’t have Bluetooth and I find the simplicity of a switch preferable.

1 Like

Just wanted to thank everyone for input and advice. I have ended up finding the Mikita vc4710 for under $400 (father in law found it from a distributor) that was new in the box sitting in a warehouse. I will have to purchase the HEPA filters separately but will still put me under $500 in total. Wife will for sure throat punch me and I am sure this will not be the last time. Lol. Thanks again to everyone that replied. Happy chips and straight lines!!

4 Likes

Note that that deal was for June of year before last and the price is now $499.

1 Like

Mine is en route via UPS no turning back now! Lol

2 Likes

Shhhh. Don’t tell my wife.

1 Like

I stand corrected. It was the CT SYS, not the CT15 that I was thinking of.

True story…lmao I spend she saves, balance is the key!

1 Like

I use an old Miele canister vacuum. Thing has more suction power than many shopvacs and is super quiet. They have an extra impeller stage on the motor exhaust that shifts the noises up into the ultrasonic range. When brand new 15 years ago the thing cost $1100 but you can find them on ebay super cheap. $150 Used is not uncommon. I have that run through a cyclone separator.

2 Likes

The Makita 4710 is a fine vacuum. I have one as well. It has a cool feature where it’ll Frequently pulse the vacuum ± to shake the filters/bag. Has a bit of a funny form factor, but so do most of the larger vacs. I feel like I recall it being a rebranded Nilfask or something. Makita, which I frequent, uses product from all over the world.

2 Likes

I had been using a Rigid in it’s own enclosure for over 10 years, but it died. I replaced it with the Fein (which I was able to order without all the floor attachments) and placed it into the same enclosure. On a particularly long file, it cut out on me. Inside the cabinet was very hot and after a few minutes the thermal over temp reset and it worked again. I now run it without the enclosure and find it quieter than the Rigid was inside the sound enclosure. Works great and fits the Sweepy 1.0 perfectly.

2 Likes

Aaron,
I just use a $20 knockoff from China and a $120 Home Depot shop vac and it serves my needs.
I would upgrade if I wasn’t happy, but . . .
Check out this guy -

Hope that helps
Jim

4 Likes

I was using a Rigid vac, but the noise and inconvenience of constantly moving hoses and adapters around got old quickly with 8 woodworking machines. I finally dropped some coin on a Shop Fox (220v model) and have never regretted it. I have a central 4" line with 4 ceiling drops, 4 gates, 4 y adapters, leading to all 8 machines. It does a great job on the CNC Router, but I also enclosed the router in a polycarbonate case, which virtually eliminated all dust.

1 Like

Very informative video, I feel like I attended Dust University! I went with a HEPA type dust extractor because my shop foreman (2yr old daughter) wanted it, said she would walk off the job if I did not meet her demands. Hard to find good help these days so I caved.

2 Likes

Just got it today. This thing is super quiet. The pulse every 15 or so seconds is louder than the vac itself. Excited to see how she operates under a chip tornado! It’s funny I say that, it took me a few hours to figure out how to mill a few holes in a piece of wood yesterday. Lol. I sit in the back of the class eating crayons for the moment while I read multiple posts of people doing amazing things on their machines. I will be there soon.

2 Likes

Do you leave the paper wrapper on for the full effect…?

3 Likes

This is the way… lol

1 Like