Help me design a toolpath

I am wanting to make a few things for Christmas. I made a simple design but cant come up with a toolpath that takes less than an hour. The size is 7 x 21 inches. Any help will be appreciated.

Sean

1 Like

Please post the .c2d file.

And what tools you have.

Merry Christmas Snowflakes.c2d (492 KB)

I have a longmill mk2, 1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4 end mills, and a 60 and 90 degree vbit. I use Carbide Create Pro and Gsender.

You are using the #102 DEFAULT tool which has a feed rate and RPMs set so as to work on pretty much any machine.

If you have the ability to do tool changes in a single file you could use an Advanced V carving toolpath w/ a 60 degree tool and a 1/8" endmill at hardwood speeds:

which is a bit more in terms of time estimate than you want.

Using the feeds and speeds for a Shapeoko HDM (you’d have to test if that would work on your machine) and reducing the max depth gets one down to less than two hours:

Reasons for this taking so long are the large are being cleared, and the delicate/intricate areas having to be cleared w/ a V endmill:

If we remove the need for pocket clearing and just use Advanced V carving w/ separate toolpaths for the design elements:

and the border:

it gets down to 52 minutes.

2 Likes

You are awesome. Thank you for the help and the explanation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.