Help: New machine will not initialize and support is not responsive

I have assembled a new S5Pro, but it is not able to initialize properly.

When walking through the new machine setup, I get the following error:

There was an error during the homing process:

Carbide Motion was unable to move off of the homing switches. There could be a hardware problem or something keeping the machine from moving.

In the setup screen, it shows the Y1 and Z homing switches as being active, even with the gantry pulled forward and z axis fully lowered. Putting a metal object in front of either of these sensors does not trigger the light on the sensor itself, nor does it change the state in software.

Here is what I have done so far:

• I have swapped out the Z sensor with a spare. Nothing changed.
  • I have tested every connection on the “Switches” cable connector. Every wire showed continuity.

I emailed support with this information over the weekend. Yesterday they replied:

Please make a visual inspection looking if the wire harness has loose connectors or loose or broken wires.
Also please reply back a short video showing the problem and the controller board connections to take a deeper look and we will get back to you with the next steps as soon as we can.

I replied back with a video (and confirmed for the second time that, yes, I have checked the wiring harness). It has now been a full day and I haven’t heard from anyone.

I tried calling, and left a voicemail. I have replied to the original email asking for a checkin and have heard nothing. The lack of support from Carbide has been extremely frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Note:
From my continuity tests, I was able to build a full pinout of the “Switches” connector on the wiring harness. I hope others struggling to configure their machine finds this useful.

1 Like

Update: A technician contacted me about an hour after posting this. They suspect the controller is at fault and are sending a replacement. Hopefully this will resolve these issues.

1 Like

I posted about this on Monday so hopefully I can shed some light from a person a few days ahead of you. First, I will say that Shapeoko techs have been great. I did the same things that you did and then I got on a video call with one of them. We went through connections, wiring, limit switch locations, etc… The determination was made it was probably the controller which they shipped out yesterday with a new wiring harness. They contacted me today and said they would be waiting for me to call them upon receiving and we will walk through the installation. The customer support has been very good so far…excited to get to use the maching - first every CNC.

It looks like I may have gotten a bad controller and a bad wiring harness at the outset. A replacement controller arrived yesterday and it solved the initial problems I mentioned above, but introduced a completely separate set of problems, some of which seem to be wiring-related. I was able to get on a video call with them this time, and they are sending a second replacement controller as well as a new wiring harness.

I’m a little nonplussed at this point. After a lot of silence, I seem to be getting relatively quick responses from their tech support. And tech support has been helpful and willing to make this right. I’ve been assured that this is a very rare problem, but as of now I’m wary about the quality of the hardware. This doesn’t bode well for longevity and reliability. I’ll be very glad to be proven wrong, though.

I am in the same boat, bad controller, radio silence from support. They said they would overnight one to me and ended sending it UPS ground, so another week before I can try for real.

I have found that if you leave the controller unplugged from the power and USB for about a half hour, it clears the issue. If you’re lucky, you can setup or initialize the machine and if you get through that, the machine will run as long as you do not hit the sensor that stays stuck in the on position.

I’m having the same issue, came to the forums to look and see others with this issue. I guess I’ll be getting ahold of support for a new controller… That’s a lot of bad controllers in recent shipments, kind of worries me about future problems.

I looked back through this forum and it seemed to be and issue last summer. My controller will work and fully initialize when it is nice and cool. I keep a portable fan right next to it. I’m in Florida and it was 90 degrees today. The Z Home light never turned off on the Debug screen, but I was able to cut a number of shapes, set new zeros and cut a practice bass guitar body out of foam since I am waiting for my spindle and bits.

Controller should be here Wednesday, so we’ll see if it is fixed. Fleming had me run some tests and he was completely familiar with the issue.