Help plz..stack text with a Q

I have been asked to make a family sign. They have the last name that starts with a Q. I have made several stacked signs b4. I seem to be stumped here with a Q in the back of the stacked Text.
The U and E get lost in the Q when it stacks. I have googled and read about ideas to try and come up with something, found nothing that works.
Any ides would be Greatly appreciated
queenqueen2.c2d (309.5 KB)

I hope i added this attachment correctly
Thanks Jon

I haven’t had any luck doing that either.

Okay, assuming one wants:

cut as the top layer:

Then one has to draw the cut up in profile (or do the trigonometry) to see how much to offset and to correct the not quite correct script text.

First, the correction of the text:

Node Edit:

delete

and/or then draw in a circle to use Trim Vectors:

Delete the circle, then use Join Vectors:

to close things:

Repeat as needed:

and use Join Vectors again:

OK

OK

Join Vectors

Yes

OK

delete circle

Join Vectors

repeat until one arrives at:

Draw up the cut in profile:

and use Boolean intersection to get geometry which shows the V carving in profile:

Then use control-drawing of a rectangle to get the offset width:

Then select the first layer and inset by that dimension:

Boolean Subtract from the inner geometry:

keeping the original geometry

Then Boolean Union with the outer geometries:

OK

Delete the original counter for the background Q:

and then do an Advanced V carving using the offset geometry which starts at the bottom of the previous cut:

Attached as a v7 file.

queenqueen2_v7.c2d (864 KB)

4 Likes

While playing with this same file, I found a ‘trick’ that makes cleaning up the self intersecting geometry very easy - Boolean Weld.

In order to have the Boolean Weld available, you need to have more than one vector selected:

Invoke Boolean Weld, and Voila!

3 Likes

O wow you guys rock. by reading this i have learned a lot. today after work i will play with these suggestions so i can learn this hands on .
Thanks again Cheers JD

I never would have thought of randomly selecting an unrelated piece of geometry. Brilliant.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.