Help with double layer vcarve

Hello,

I’m trying to make some small hex bowls with 45 degree sides. My overall pocket is .35" and my #301 90 degree vee bit only carves .25" deep using advanced vcarve, and I want the slope to run all the way to the top instead of leaving a .1" rise. My attempt to fix this was to run an outside contour cutpath with my #301 with a depth of .1", and on the simulation that looks exactly what I would want, but there is a small ridge between the upper and lower portion (shown in the picture) that I would like to clean up in carbide create vs having to sand it down. Any tips on how I could tighten this up to be a single smooth 45 degree slope all the way up? Maybe there’s a better way than what I’m trying to make work?

Appreciate the help; I’m using a Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x4 and Carbide Create Build 757, file attached, and using .75" cherry for the wood.

Vbowl Help.c2d (52 KB)

I actually considered getting a very, very large endmill to handle this sort of situation:

because of similar difficulties with smaller V endmills, but my first run was disastrous in terms of vibration, so I’m giving up on that (though I have an RC-1141 in my cart which I will try next, since it seems roughly equivalent to the RC-1148 which we sell which has worked fine for me).

My recommendation would be to draw the stock up in profile and work out how much insetting needs do happen and to what depth each layer would need to be cut and add additional layers until things are cut to the desired level of finish.

See:

for the technique.

That said, the ability to cut on the diagonal is the one thing which I really wish Carbide Create had (that and scripting — esp. if the scripting would be such that it would allow for programming diagonal moves)

Or, model in 3D using Carbide Create Pro and use a fine stepover/small tools.

Thank you for the quick response, Will. That RC-1141 is a little too pricey for me, but I will look for some cheaper alternatives for a 90* V that can do it in one pass.

Off topic from the original post, but any tips for how to clean up those subtle grooves in the bottom left by the #251 advanced vcarve pocketing?

See if adjusting the depth per pass can get things down to a final pass which removes so little material that the quality is where you want it, or run a second full-depth pass with a higher stepover (and possibly a different tool w/ a different flute count or radiused corner?)

That bit looks very non symmetrical which seems very odd. I guess they have it weighted properly. Let us know how that goes if you get it. The 1148 was just too big?

Amana RC-1148 is 60 degree, not 90.

It’s included in:

The RC-1141 seems to be the 90 degree analogue (if there’s some other tool to consider, I’d be glad to know of it)

Sorry,
I missread your post. I thought when you mentioned a very large bit that didn’t work out well it was the 1148.

The problematic tool (for me) is the RC-1142 which other folks have noted vibrates quite a bit:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.