Thoughts on tooling for joinery

Working on what I hope will be a final and workable version of a module for cutting joinery — in trying to balance the number of tool changes against the simplicity of the code, and interesting option came to mind:

• require that two V tools be used, one small/narrow so as to create the channel along the edge of the joint, another large enough to cut a V along the edge of the stock in a single toolpath or so.

A Carbide 3D #301 would be able to cut joinery thus in up to 1/4" stock (or possibly a bit more). There are larger tool suited for use in our machines such as:

which I have defined as:

and which would allow cutting in stock up to 3/4" thick (or a bit more) — but it’s rather pricey — list price is $145.60 and one vendor sells it for $131.04:

(there is a 10% off code which may apply this weekend)

Does this seem reasonable to folks?

3 Likes

Pricey, but with double sided replaceable knives so more economical in the long run.

Replacement blade is $21.

1 Like

I’ve had the Amana 60* v for two years and I am still on the first insert edge. So it is expensive, but definitely worth it.

1 Like

Okay, with a #301 tool, if we make two passes and leave the central channel to the 1/8" tool we can effectively cut up to a 3/8" thickness of stock quite convincingly:

and the upper limit on thickness is well over 1":

while the larger tool extends this to 7/8":

Order has been placed, and we’ll see how it works out once it arrives.

Currently working through the programming at:

1 Like

During my latest project, the Time Capsule box this is what I did and the result was pretty good. For the 90deg bit I used the Carbide 3D #301 as you’ve mentioned in your post.

In Fusion 360 I made sketches on the miter cut faces to have multiple lines which represented each pass using the trace toolpath. I ran this after using a 1/4" bit to clear the bulk of the material

I also made 6.35mm slots running across the top and bottom of the board and made the panels that float inside the box frame/walls.

Final result

3 Likes

Yes, with modern adhesives it’s amazing how well a 45 degree miter will hold — that said, I prefer that a joint have self-aligning characteristics — I actually have an idea for a joint which will be perfect (void free, and fully hidden) but while I have been able to make a 3D model of it, I can’t find a CAM tool which will efficiently cut it out — once I finish up the designs I’ve been documenting at:

I am going to finish my math studies so as to master conic sections and work up a tool which will cut them out efficiently.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

After trying this tool out and getting more vibration than I find workable (to be fair to Amana, it is noted as being suited for router tables on the packaging), maybe the smaller RC-1141 would be more workable:

It would allow doing pretty large stock in only one pass to clear the bulk of the material, and a pass at the top to define the joinery, and then the smaller V tool alone could cut the bottom:

Alternately, the central area could be cut with two passes of a #301 (for up to 15.875mm or so thick stock):

1 Like