Help with juice groove in some boards

I made a some cutting boards for a family member and they’re all 14 inch circles with different woods in the boards. That said, my family member was asking about a possible juice groove that’s 1/4 inch wide / 1/4 inch deep and that runs all the way around the board about 1 inch in from the outside of the circle. I found an appropriate bit on tools today site that I now own. Amana Tool 45904 that should give me what I’m looking for.

Since these are already done and made circles, (novice question) but how would I make that happen? Do I find center of the circle and just zero z with the touch probe or board itself with a 14 inch circle and juice groove drawn up in CC?

That is what i would do. Since you don’t have a corner work from the center.

1 Like

Yes, that is a good plan. If you are nervous you could set your Z-Zero and inch above the board to “air-cut” the project first. Allowing you to watch it make the circle and verify everything looks good before committing to cutting.

Be sure to have a good work-holding solution, as holding a round object can be difficult.

1 Like

That’s a great idea on the “air cut” method first! I was just going to do the ole’ painters tape and ca glue method seeing as these juice grooves are only .25" deep. So I don’t see it being able to move during these light passes to get me there.

Perhaps you just didn’t say it, but you need to back that round thing up into a corner before you set the center zeros and glue it all down with tape-n-glue method.

Then you’re set for doing the other boards one after another, and since they’re round there’s no indexing involved.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.