Help with Quick Actions

Can someone help me with some Quick Action G-Code?
I want to setup some Quick Actions in Carbide Motion. I have a 3XL and I frequently want to align stock to be centered on the bed with enough precision to rely on accurate threaded insert locations. So there are two absolute locations that I frequently (manually) jog to when setting up my stock.

I calculated and setup by “bed area” to be 34.375 by 13.625, and I know the absolute center of that area is at X17.244 Y6.886 (with a threaded insert also at that location). Rather than manually jogging to that location, I want to create a quick action that will move to those precise coordinates with the Z axis all the way up.

And after accounting for the area my 3XL can move outside of the bed area, I consider my “max area” to be 34.375 x 16.625, so that absolute center is at X17.244 Y8.386, with a threaded insert also at that location (why I use 1.5" spaced threaded inserts).

Using this method lets me setup jobs by drilling holes in the stock that will align with any of my threaded inserts. Just looking to save time by running a quick action instead of manually jogging to those locations.

Bed & Max area in this case is irrelevant. (Other than you using them to determine the 2 inserts you want to rapid to)

What you are looking for is the Machine Coordinates of the 2 inserts. They should be all negative numbers, since the Machine Zero point is in the upper, back, right corner.

Select the “Position” word above the digital readout to change to “Machine Position”
Move to the position of the insert, and note the machine position.

Now your quick action should look something like

G90 G20 G0 G53 Z-0.197   
G53 X<the X location> Y<the Y location>

G90 (absolute positioning)
G20 (Inch units)
G0 (Rapid)
G53 (Machine Coordinates. This is not modal, so needs to be output on every line that uses machine coordinates.)
Z-0.197 (Default 5mm backoff from Z limit switch, which would be Machine Z0)

2 Likes

I can’t help with the question at hand, but that template you made of the machine bed is amazing! It would be cool to have that with the hybrid table.

Please see:

for a bit of a writeup on drawing up that sort of thing.

1 Like

The x17.244 y6.886 are the absolute machine positions for my CNC, I just dropped the negative from the diagram since all the numbers are negative on that grid.

So would this be the G-Code?

G90 G20 G0 G53 Z (I have to determine this number)
G53 X-17.244 Y-6.886

Before the hybrid table, we had to make our own waste boards. Because of that most of this work I did long ago, it has just evolved into my go-to starting template over the years. I’ll attach it here just in case anyone is interested.
Template.c2d (516 KB)

2 Likes

Yes, that would get you the center of the “Bed Area”. The Z value should be -0.something. You don’t want to bump up against the limit switch. So 3mm (-0.118") or 5mm (-0.197")… anything really.

But yes, try that out & test it. Best bet is to dial in on your insert & mark that position. As it might be off a bit from the calculated dimensions. But when you mount something to the insert, that will be your index position, so if you zero in on that you will be right there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.