Help! Z Axis going crazy and grinding

Same here except that it’s the X axis. I did find a missing Allen head set screw on the stepper motor, took one off a Y motor, no luck. Still has a seizure while trying to move X axis. Removed connections and wired direct, no help. All sensors working at both locations.

Please contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll work through this with you.

Hey Will, im not sure if you’re writing to me or Stephen, but I’ve been working with Fleming and a replacement cable shipped out today.

Thanks

Austin

1 Like

Update: sorry for the delay, I’ve been working a lot. Carbide next day’d a replacement wire. It took a couple minutes to install and run through the drag chain. I’ve run a few projects and everything has been working great.

I chose the shapeoko because in all my research beforehand I read how well made the machine is, but what really made my decision was hearing how great the community and customer service are. That was definitely my experience, and I really appreciate it.

6 Likes

Consider yourself lucky it happened on homing. Mine happened twice while running (Shapeoko 4 XXL) - broke $100 worth of bits in the process. I contacted support, they sent a new wiring harness. Put it in, again broke $100 worth of bits when it wigged out again in the middle of a job. VERY aggravating and expensive. I emailed support again tonight, calmed down, had a drink, and then bypassed the plug that’s right at the z-motor (the one that arc’s and overheats) with some solder and heat shrink and no more issues. I kind of expected better out of a machine that costs this much.

4 Likes

Hello ManBearPig. A similar thing happened to me today 04-15-20200. It is intermittent for me. Had my machine for almost a year and no issues till now. Did you ever figure out what the issue was or what the most likely culprit is? I have contacted support and they are helping I just wanted to find out if your issue was resolved and how.

I did, i pulled on the wires and one was really loose and came right out of the connector, so it was likely making intermittent contact. I told carbide and they sent me a replacement for the motor which fixed the problem, and i havent had any trouble since.
Hope that helps, best of luck

2 Likes

Hi John - I had EXACTLY the same issue with my Shapeoko Pro XXL after I first set it up last fall (2021). The problem was intermittent with long stretches between episodes at first, but increased in frequency with time. It’s alarming as hell when it happens, eh? The thing is, I was so new to the machine that I wasn’t sure what I was seeing when mine first did it, so I’d instantly hit the blue power button to stop it. After a few instances I decided to let it grind away for a few seconds while I looked it over to see what was going on. I noticed my Z-axis limit switch was intermittent, as I could see the red LED on the proximity switch flicker, and then afterwards I found I could make it flicker with the slightest jiggle of its signal wires. I believe this lead the machine to lose its Z zero a few times, which resulted in the bit plunging into the wasteboard, as yours did. When it did so I noted the Z location on the screen read something like 2", when it should have been a negative number, as it had plunged well below my original Z zero setting. In other words the machine thought it still had about 2" to go down to cut my stock! I un-did/re-did my connections a few times and it seemed to cut okay again for a time, with me chewing my fingernails each time that it was going to plunge through some nearly-done project. One day it finally freaked out for good - I couldn’t get it to snap out of it. So I called Carbide3D. To cut to the chase they were excellent in helping me. A very knowledgeable and patient guy walked me through a thorough troubleshooting regimen (which as an engineer I’ve done for people myself), which included purposely swapping Z and X control lines and many other tricks. When that didn’t yield a solution he said they’d ship me replacement wiring harness and Z-axis assembly, which they did in just a couple days. I swapped it out, re-trammed the machine, and all’s been well ever since. They provided RMA #'s to ship back the questionable hardware. I’d still love to know what the issue was. In any case, part of the reason I went with a Shapeoko was the company’s reputation for customer service, and they lived up to it. They’ll take care of you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 8 days. New replies are no longer allowed.