High speed machining- 200ipm/5000mm or bust

Vid of part, outside came out butta. 300/30 feels like a good stopping point until more router TQ is acquired

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brc4CRcDRon/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wap2ie2f56nj

3 Likes

What router (your old Makita 0701?), endmill, DOC, and WOC (stepover) did you use for roughing (at 300/30?)? Did you use an alcohol or other mist/flood for cooling/lubrication? Is it 6061 - T6? Which “0.250 endmills should be able to live at 45,000rpm”?

Makita rt701c still on original brushes

Roughed with 0.250 TAS/0.375 from Lakeshore Carbide. Went anywhere from a 0.125-0.250 Doc, 0.05 opt for lower docs, 0.02 for higher. Huuuuge stickouts for 3" internal depth parts, 1.8" but compensated for deflection. Trico Microdrop running 50/50 ethanol/water with a splash of synthetic added. MQL style

T6 6061

My 0.375s survive just fine at 3000sfm. Chipload and speed keep the heat out of the material. That means a 0.250 should be able to run 44ish thousand at 400+ipm if I can get more spindle power and get better with smooth CAM (road race spec miata style) , a 1.5kw 60krpm should be sufficient (gotta do maths).

If Datron can do it, I can do it

3 Likes

Ball mill finishing went well today at 400ipm

8 Likes

Do you program as conventional or climb mill? I didn’t see mentioned in previous posts.
Trying to dial my machine in and unsure if I chose the wrong path haha

I believe those were setup as climb and ordered bottom to top because I was using a 3 flute ball at 30,000.

When running a 060 bull I can run in both directions without finish issues. Bottom to top still recommended if possible.

It also really depends on how much axial/radial stock you left for finishing ops. If you can speed up travels then spiral and morph become usable with decent run times

One thing to be wary about is full tool engagement at the start of some of these toolpaths. Pick entry points and check simulations religiously

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.