Holiday In the Pines Craft Show

I got my booth shelving set up with most of my products on it. I will likely rearrange some things and remove some duplicates to be replaced as it sells. Most of it has some Shapeoko work.

I have an SFA Cutting Board, trinket boxes on the top shelf.

I have catch all trays, potpourri bowls, magnifying glasses, money clips and perfume atomizers, and pens on the next shelf down.

I have a bunch of keep sake boxes on the next shelf down, some yoyos.

On the bottom shelf are some jewelry boxes and my whiskey and cigar trays, some glass insulators and some pen and pencil sets as well as one 5x7 Picture frame with my dog in the window.

9 Likes

Where is the show being held?

It is in Nacgodoches Texas next Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Thursday is a special for the Junior forum (sponsor) with a private party and exclusive shopping for the attendees. Then Friday and Saturday is the public part. I am in a booth with 4 other people from our woodworking club. We will have a banner hanging in the booth to promote the club. We will also have a flyer about the club to put in each purchasers bag.

Frankly I will be glad when it is all over. That represents months of work. I hope to sell my stuff but whatever is left over will be Christmas presents. A couple of the other folks in the booth do this to supplement their retirement income. For me it is more work than want to do on a regular basis. I worked 45 years and dont want another job. I have been to the event before as a member of the general public and there are a lot of people that show up and shop shop shop. There is a lot of food items, craft items, clothes and also a bunch of trinkets from China. Mostly hand made stuff made by the people selling it.

1 Like

All your items look great! Do you turn your own pens?

Yes. The cigar pens are just turned with negative rake carbide tools. The slimline pens were turned on a Jet 1221 VS with a PSI Duplicator. I enjoy turning and pens are easy, fast and fun. However you need a certain amount of accessories to turn pens. You need a mandrel, drilling jig, trimming tools and a way to drill straight (drill press). These tools can be poor boyed with things you have already in the shop but the specialized accessories make it much more reliable and dependable.

I wanted to turn for years. I thought about getting a mini lathe but I thought I would out grow it and then need a bigger lathe. However if you buy the bigger lathe and dont like it then you have to sell it. Someone gave me a Shopsmith. I had all the tools the Shopsmith does so I turned it into a lathe. As a lathe it is pretty good. As a table saw it is scary. When I retired I sold the Shopsmith and bought a Nova 1624. So I have two lathes and primarily turn pens on the Jet 1221VS and everything else on the Nova. After you do woodworking for a while you tend to get two of everything. I have two bandsaws, two router tables. Woodworking is addictive but always buy the best tools you can afford. You only cry once when buying a good tool instead of crying every time you use a cheap tool. That does not mean you have to buy the top of the line but only buy quality tools. Harbor Freight has come a long way but most of what they sell qualifies as the tool they advertise but is the bare minimum of what the definition of a particular tool is.

So I have been woodworking for 45+ years and got my Shapeoko to supplement my traditional woodworking. For a while it just took over. Now I am back to a balanced approach to my woodworking. There are many ways to do any job. Some get a CNC and get myopic about what they are doing and try to make the CNC do it all. Sometimes a good hand plane can do more in a few minutes than hours of setup and programming on the CNC. So just keep a balance in what you are doing and keep it fun.

Most of the projects are a mix of traditional woodworking and use of my Shapeoko. A good mix and makes unique projects.

I did rearrange some and measured so I fit in my part of the booth. I have 56" X 28" and up to 8’ tall.

I used some easels that I cut on the Shapeoko to prop up the lids of my keepsake boxes.

Not seen is this picture but I got some 3’ led strips that I have taped under the 2nd and 3rd shelves to brighten them up. They have a remote to change colors and different sequences. I also have a usb turntable that I will use but is not in the picture.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.