Homing probe problem on the z axis

After installing the bitzero and the bitrunner my machine is now crashing into the proximity switch on the z axis. The router goes to the top can’t find the switch and proceed to continue running up making a terrible gear slipping noise.
It happens at random at startup when the z is at it highest or at the end of the job. The light stays on since the router carriage is touching the switch. There is no more adjustment on the switch as it is already maxed out in height right now. I may raise it but I don’t think I should have to.
I can shut off the machine and remove the switch then trick it into thinking it has found the z limit by tapping it to the top of the carriage when it is cycling. It will go through the rest of the homing process. Once complete I reinstall the switch and put the bit in when it asks for it. I can set the bit and It will run through the job most of the time just fine but I know this will lead to wear on the machine.
Anyone else have this problem? Or have a solution.
This Pro xxl machine is only a week old.

Ok so I retraced the proximity switch wires back to the enclosure to make sure it was plugged in correctly and nothing else was interfering with it. With the cover off of the enclosure I ran it all day yesterday without a problem.
That enclosure seems a bit cramped could the wires be pushing against each other or the board and causing problems?
Definitely looks like the Bitzero wiring plug with shrink wrap is to long and hits the cover of the enclosure causing it to put pressure on the board. Being a brand new machine I am apprehensive about making modifications to the wiring although I may enlarge that enclosure.

1 Like

Hey Ryan,

I saw this post yesterday and my mind went directly to the wiring - especially since you mentioned the bitzero installation. I was going to suggest looking at the wiring, but wasn’t quite sure if the Pro still required you to open it up to plug in the bitzero (which would be a really silly thing to make people do for a new machine) or just plug it into a socket on the enclosure.

The SO3 daughter board that is used to add the BitZero and BitSetter can cause problems similar to you are seeing. The cramped wiring means you need to put a bit of insulation tape on the bottom of the daughter board just in case it lands on the components beneath it and shorts something out.

Thanks I will take a look at that when I get back in the shop on Tuesday.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.