How do I add text to 3D project

I’m trying to do a project for my new great granddaughter. I have added text to a 3D STL file, but I would like some help with tool paths. I can do the 3D rough and finish, but how do I save the text from getting erased? Thanks for your help.
Sydney.c2d (840 KB)

See:

I am having an issue. I can’t get the text to vcarve after the rough and finish 3d cut. If I disable the rough and final 3d it shows my vcarve text on the top of the stock. I have the vcarve as the last option but I guess when it is running it is not going down to the new level of the stock after the 3d carve. What am I doing wrong.

I think what you are
Asking for is the ability to project the text onto your 3D surface. I don’t think that capability is native in CC. One of the guys did it with a terrain map a few months ago. I don’t remember the process

3D carving doesn’t change or define a new z once material has been removed. Unfortunately the software isn’t that smart. If the text is supposed to be carved on a flat plane then you will have to define the start (top) height and the depth (if a contour path) If the text if to fit the form of the 3d carve then the text will need to be built into the depth map for the 3d carve.

It is not possible to have 2D toolpaths interact with the 3D model — you will need to model the text into the 3D model and cut it as part of the model — or fashion a flat plane in the 3D model and cut the V carving at that depth/height.

1 Like

I watched Kevin’s video with the rings. He added the two names on the 2d form and then vcarved them on the rings after the rough and final 3d. I have followed the steps in that video but the text is still floating. I do as you mentioned and set a start value due to it being a flat surface is going to work in this instance put for future think of how to make it work. If you model the text on a curved 3d model can you cut it with a v bit or is it only going to be what was cut in the 3d carve. As you can tell I am brand new with this and trying to learn. Thank you for you input. Cheers.

If your V-Carve is deep enough to cut into the previously cut 3D shape, then it will remove material, but the toolpath will still be relative to the flat plane of the top of stock, or whatever start depth you define.

If you want tapered text fitted to the 3D surface, then you need to model the text into the 3D model.
Select the text, create an angled component with a limited height, and subtract it from the existing model.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.