How do I edit G code output settings?

There are certain edits to the CC generated G-code I make every time. When I am prototyping a new design this can become a monotonous pain.
This is my current workflow. (btw all my settings are in metric.)

• In CC I tweak my design by a few millimeters.
  • select [save toolpaths] select [save as G-code]
  • I open gcode in notepad++
  • Before the first G0 command I add a line “G0Z3.800”.
  • Delete the gratuitous M0 command sequence generated between toolpaths using the same bit.
  • Add a line of “M05” and another “G0Z3.800” when I actually do need to change the bit. (Otherwise actions are paused but the spindle is still going.)
  • Use a CNC Program Simulator to spot any obvious toolpath mistakes.
  • Open UGS to run the g-code for my 3018cnc router.
  • Use my spoil board to set the Z axis to -.__
  • Press [send]
  • Cross my fingers and occasionally hold my breath for the next few hours.
  • test my part. make some notes. start again at step 1.

I am mostly milling HDPE plastic I’ve melted into a stock block. Yesterday I forgot to add the first “G0Z3.800” to the beginning of my code. The spindle was sitting at Z-29.000 when I hit [send] and the 1 inch surfacing bit I start with cut upwards through the side of my stock block. That set me back 2 hours. So my question is this: How can I edit the default CC generated Gcode to (at the very least) add my safety line of “G0Z3.800” so I don’t have to do it manually every time I edit my design???
If that’s something I can’t do for whatever technical reason, do you have another solution?
Thanks in advance,
Bryce C.
p.s. I’m very irritated and tired. Please forgive any errors I’ve made writing this. I am aware that I could/should run new gcode without a bit in the spindle before using it on my stock, but when I am making -minor- adjustments who has the bloody time? I’m open to clarifying questions but I cannot share my files at this time.

If you have a Pro license, please let us know the specifics of the changes you are making in the context of how they differ from Basic G-code output to support@carbide3d.com

Thank you for the reply. I do have a Pro license and I will do that. If this message board is not intended for Pro members where should post topics in the future?

It’s fine to post here — it’s just some things are better handled on support — a custom post-processor request is a good example of that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.