How do you engrave teeny tiny letters?

I’m trying to use carbide create and MC Etcher to engrave words, really small.
My settings for the MC etcher are the default parameters. I’m using a 0.015 “depth of cut” and 0.015 per pass, so it performs a single pass.

I cannot figure out how to make it not want to treat the letters as 3D objects. When you write on a piece of paper, you make a single stroke for each line. When carbide create is generating toolpaths for the letters, the contour and pocket paths make the etcher trace back and forth for every line. Is there a way to make it draw the letters 1 pass wide?

Also, once I got the font down around 0.1", carbide create starts having trouble staying inside the lines and even following the letters. Are there any parameters I can adjust anywhere to have it follow the letters better?

There is a bit of optimization to the on-screen appearance — the actual cut should more accurately follow the lines.

I cannot figure out how to make it not want to treat the letters as 3D objects. When you write on a piece of paper, you make a single stroke for each line. When carbide create is generating toolpaths for the letters, the contour and pocket paths make the etcher trace back and forth for every line. Is there a way to make it draw the letters 1 pass wide?

I think these stick or single line fonts are what you’ll need.

3 Likes

Those stick fonts are exactly what I needed.

I was able to get the text engraving on 6061 aluminum down to about the size of Lincoln’s nose on a penny and still be legible. I’m at the point where the material being pushed up by the tip of the engraver is forming burrs. The burrs are pretty big compared to the small letters and make them look uglier the smaller you get.

It kinda looks likes I may need to find a fine point cutting or grinding tool to get any smaller. I’m using the unbranded router that carbide3D sells, and have the 1/4" and 1/8" collets.

I had a little trouble also with burrs on thin anodized aluminum ornaments I made late last year. I found that very light sanding with a used 320 grit sanding block was just enough to take those off and not mess with the finish much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.