How much faster can I push the #202 cutter?

3D parallel toolpath, finishing operation… stock to leave was .02 radial and axial after a 3D adaptive. Note the 200% overide.

FYSA still a 2.5hr job.

What’s the stepover and material?

sorry… of course. Sugar Maple and .02" Stepover

You’ll probably get much more MRR (material removal rate) with a larger stepover, which is probably what you really want. You should be able to get close to .2" or so stepover, with .2"-.4" depth of cut (DOC) without much trouble, but likely slow the feed down, and use a gentle entry (helix) It’ll take a bit of experimentation, but that .25" tool can remove a lot of material! If you want to stick with the .02" finish, then keep adding speed until you start getting a finish you don’t like…and back up a couple steps. You’ll need to regenerate the paths to get past “200%” - but that’s easy enough in fusion.

It’s a finishing pass? I’m going for very minor sanding / finishing work after i’m done aka No cusps so the small step over is intentional.

Ok, then just keep cranking it up. A heavy tool like that can take a lot of force, for finish quality this will be more about machine rigidity than what the tool will take. You may want to create a little sample project to test your speed/finish quality with.

Well lets find the limits then. Just so I’m understanding correctly when I increase the feedrate in carbide motion to 200% that means that the 100in/min feedrate in the toolpath settings is = 200? aka, Nothing else is getting doubled?

Yes, but it also doubles the plunge rates - any feed rate will be doubled. The easiest way to do this is set it a lot higher than you expect to work, then before running the job set the feed override to 1% and work it up from there with the feed override until you get what you want. I find that results in a lot less regeneration cycles when I’m way off in my initial guess.

3 Likes

Ah I see; I was going to go with i know double works so set it to that and see if double of double works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.