How often do you swap out your belts?

How often do you swap out your belts?

Previous discussion on this:

1 Like

My Son’s machines are in use approximately 30 hours a week on average. Broke one 6mm belt on the first batch of SO3 after 11 months. Upgraded to 9mm belts later and no issues.

Broke a 9mm belt at the rear belt clip last week on the XXL after 2 years 3 months. I attribute this to over tightening not a failure to usage. It did not affect operation, only noticed it when I went to retention the belts during ‘Annual’ maintenance. I was able to adjust the belt centered between the clips and it’s wotking fine.

1 Like

A note here on Gates (the guys that designed the GT2 belt) - they are discontinuing the GT2 product in preference for the GT3 belt, which fits all the same applications, same dimensions, etc. As their GT2 stock is depleted, they will be substituting the GT3 product. Nothing to worry about, just know that you may not be able to get “GT2” belts from Gates in the future, but use the GT3 belt instead and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I’m interested in the SDP/SI belts. Would you mind replying with a link to the specific belts for my Shapeoko 3?

Last time I looked them up the links were: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Belts_and_Pulleys#9mm_wide_belts_for_SO3_X-_and_Y-axes

this may have changed, and you may need to switch your search to GT3 as @mikep noted above.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.