How printable are 45 degree overhangs?

Working up yet another joinery technique — this time a blind miter w/ 3D printed spline — how printable would:

be?

STL: blind miter 3D spline.stl (83.8 KB)

Hi Will,

In general 45 degree overhangs are very doable, but it does depend on the printer. I use a Prusa, and frequently use 45 degree chamfers to avoid steps that would result in support material. It’s a little difficult for me to picture the rest of the model from the angle shown in the picture, so I’ll avoid making any general comments about how printable it is.

1 Like

Uploaded the STL if anyone wants to view it in 3D, or see:

https://www.blockscad3d.com/community/projects/1257022

The tips might come out slightly flawed depending on layer height as sharp narrow tips can be tricky and the tabs will possibly snap off at the layer lines if there is any kind of stress on them but I don’t know exactly how this joint is used. Make sure there is plenty of cooling to prevent stringing and use .1 layer height for fine tips.

I would print them at 45 degrees with supports. You will spend time cleaning off supports but the tips will stay sharp.

I forgot to mention that chamfers print far better than round overs on the bottom of parts that are to be 3d printed.

I’ll run this part on my ultimaker 2 as it’s small and only takes 10 minutes.

The tips would be okay rounded off (would only create a slight void), so sounds like this will be workable — just need to get my Ordbot up and running again.

it printed fine with just a few tiny spots that need clean up and it was a really small print so scaled up it will be fine without supports.

1 Like

Thanks for that!

This then raises the question — how do folks feel about hybrid 3D printed/CNC router projects?

Do enough folks have 3D printers to make this worthwhile?

Anyone w/ a 3D printer want to make a drawer or a box? Let me know the dimensions and I’ll work up files.

I started my 3d design and manufacturing journey with 3d printing then transitioned into CnC. Now that both are affordable and 3d printers being more affordable then ever a lot of people will own both eventually.

3d printing is great for quickly prototyping and checking fitment before spending the time to work out machining a complex part. Also so many things can just be printed and function as intended saving so much time vs subtractive manufacturing. Combine the 2 together and your ability to create jumps to a whole new level so those who can afford to invest in a 3d printer should IMHO.

1 Like

My hybrid cnc machined body with 3d printed mount and custom ball bearing gravity gyro gopro stabilizer I designed last year so I get silky smooth auto-leveling with my gopro session.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.