How repeatable should the Homing process be?

I have an XL with the proximity switches. It appears that the homing process has some amount of slop to it - after a Homing cycle, moving to a ‘known’ location (like rapid SW) doesn’t always come out the same. It’'s been off by up to 2mm, which doesn’t should like a lot but I wanted to have a repeatable position against a fence and this randomness is throwing things off.

Am I expecting to much from the homing cycle? I had though that Home + move to Rapid would be repeatable.

The X has much less variability than the Y.

Question - if the two Y belts are different lengths (in terms of number of teeth), what happens? Is there any way to tell if the two Y belts are not synchronized?

Hi @mhotchin,

You should get a much, much better repeatability than 2mm on re-homing.
There are a number of threads on this topic, it depends on a number of things, but basically you should be able to get a repeatability that is down to fractions of a mm, I know I do. There is probably something mechanical that can be adjusted.

Ensuring equal tension on Y belts (on a properly squared machine) is important indeed, check out this great thread from @LiamN for how to ensure that:

I now use the Gates app and pitch measurement method, works like a charm.

The other trick that comes back regularly to maximize homing repeatability, is this one:

This ensures that the motors lock in place (and the pulleys engage with the belts) in a very repeatable fashion.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.