How to add a spoilboard bit to library

I bought this spoilboard resurfacing bit on amazon. Can anyone tell me how to add it to the library?

CNC Spoilboard Surfacing Router Bit, 1/4" Shank 1" Cutting Diameter, Carbide Insert Slab Flattening Router Bits Planing Bit Wood Planer Bit Woodworking Tools by BINSTAK Amazon.com

Profile looks similar to our mcfly cutter, but you could go into select tool and down on the bottom of the window that pops up and select new library, from there you should be able to right click and add a tool.

You can also go to Edit>Show tool database

1 Like

Ive gotten that far, i just dont know what to type in terms of parameters, feeds and speeds etc

Extensive discussion at:

and

Copy the McFly and start there. You can create a project and choose the McFly and then edit the tool to see what the parameters are and copy them.

The newer way is to create a library and then add a tool. I go one step further and after you create the library and tool you go to Help, About and Open Data Directory then Carbide Create. In there you will find Tools. You will see the new library you created and double click on that file. It should open up a spreadsheet in Office or other application like LibreOffice (OpenSource) that you use. Then you can see all the fields of the tool and can directly edit what you want. Then save as a .csv file. If you have CC open you need to close it and reopen to see the new library and any tools you added to the library.

As far as what to put in the fields most of it is self explanatory. Give your tool a unique number and things like the step over copy what the McFly does. The McFly is different from the picture I saw of your bit but it is a good place to start.

Here is the library I created for my WhiteSide 6210 1" Fly Cutter and an Amazon copy of the Whiteside for reference.

number vendor model URL name type diameter cornerradius flutelength shaftdiameter angle numflutes stickout coating metric notes machine material plungerate feedrate rpm depth cutpower finishallowance 3dstepover 3dfeedrate 3drpm
601 whiteside 6210 Fly Cutter end 1 0 0.25 0 2 3 0.25 0 10 80 16000 0.01 1 35 80 16000
602 Sugelary X002JUT7TF Fly Cutter end 1 0 0.25 0 2 3 0.25 0 10 100 16000 0.01 1 35 80 16000

Here is my best guess/knowledge of all the fields in a custom tool:

Here are the explanations of the fields in the .csv file.

Number: Unique Tool Number (Do not duplicate tool numbers)
Vendor: This is not necessary but is there to remember what it is
Model: Part number of tool you are adding from OEM
URL: This is not necessary but is there to remember where the site is
Name: This is a Human Readable name
Type: The types most used are end, vee, ball etc……
Diameter: The overall Diameter of your bit.
Cornerradius: This one I am not sure. However they introduced rest machining and may have something to do with that.
FluteLength: This is the vertical measurement of the cutter.
Shaftdiameter: This one I don’t know but is not currently in use in CC/CM
Angle:
Numflutes: This is the number of flutes on the bit (2,3,4 etc…)
Stickout: This is not corrently used and likely has to do with automatic change which C3d does not currently support.
Coating: This is not currently used but C3D sells coated bits and you could use that here
Metric: If the tool is metric=1, if SAE/Imperial=0
Machine: This is not current used but you could differentiate if you have Shapeoko and/or Nomad
Material: Not currently used but use the type material C3D uses if possible.
Plungerate: This rate is dependent on the Metric Setting. If Metric is set to 1 then the plunge is in MM and if Metric is set to 0 then the rate is in inches.
Feedrate: See above for Plungerate, sets for Metric or Inch
RPM: This is the RPM of your spindle
Depth: This is the depth of cut per pass, see Plungerate for metric/inch
Cutpower: Not sure but not currently used by C3D
Finishallowance: Used for 3d cutting and this is what is left over on roughing pass.
3dstepover: This is the percentage of stepover based on size of bit and see Metric for where the stepover will be in metric/inch
3dfeedrate: This may be used for 3d cutting. Not sure if it is implemented in C3D software or not.

If I am wrong please jump in and correct my fumbling.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.