How to avoid chatter during change of depth of cut

Hi All,

I’m cutting simple shapes out of 2mm brass using a 2mm single flute tool. I notice that after about a depth of 1mm, when the tool goes down to the next depth of cut, it chatters at that point so to avoid damage, I stopped cutting.

I think I read somewhere that a lead in toolpath helps but how does one create this in CC? I don’t
use Fusion 360. Is there a better way to avoid this chatter?

Many thanks!
Gunter

Carbide Create does not have a feature for leading in.

What alloy are you cutting?

Using what feeds and speeds and what is your depth of cut and plunge rate?

Will, it’s brass, depth of cut is 0.1mm, feed rate 254mm/m, plunge rate is 30 at 10,000 rpm.

Which alloy of brass?

Engraving Brass (CZ120 / CW608N) which has 2% lead added to it, or Free Machining Brass (CW614N / CZ121) which has 3% lead content are “lovely to machine".

353, 360 and 385 noted as suitable for machining on a CNC router: Brass with CNC router

See:

and

as well as:

Will, thanks for the info… I don’t know the type of brass unfortunately.
I’ve seen the videos you linked before and I cut thin sheets (0.5mm) quite
regularly without an issue. Most people use F360 so that works well for them.

Do you have any experience with Cambam? My limited understanding is it
can help with lead ins etc.

:pray:
Gunter

I think the solution is speeds & feeds & making sure the workpiece is very rigidly held down.

However, since the question came up I was able to create a profile path with lead in / lead out.
Caveat being it only works on contour path with no offset. And you have to be careful how you
construct the vector. I moved the left upper line away from it’s adjoining lower line to add the lead in & lead out, joined the whole vector, then moved the upper section back into alignment to assure they
were joined how I wanted them.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.