How to care for your spindle

We’ve all been there - bought something shiny and then thought, how do I look after this tool?

In this instance, I’m talking about spindles. Spindles are precision tools and quite different from the compact routers we use on many machines. As spindles represent a significant investment to your machine and business, keeping them in tip-top condition is an excellent idea for a long, productive life.

The Body

Generally, there isn’t much to do - we usually recommend keeping them clean and dust-free; every six months, give them a light wipe down with a very lightly oiled rag (WD40 or something similar) to present any surface rust.

Taper

It’s good practice to keep this as dust-free and clean as possible - the taper directly impacts how the collet sits, and if this has a build-up of dust or chips in, it could throw out a collet slightly. We recommend that you wipe down the inside of the taper with a clean paper towel every time you change a bit. Every six months, clean it out with a good spray of WD40 or something similar such as a three in one oil - be sure to clean off any excess with a clean towel.

Collets and Nut

While these are low maintenance, an er11/er20 nut can get dust build-up along the snap ring or the threads. It’s essential to clean off dust and chips, especially if the nuts have been left in situ for a long time. If left, dust can build up and cause an issue when threading it onto the spindle nose. Always check the threads and snap rings before you fit, and keep them clean. If you use the machine a lot, we recommend giving these a quick dunk into WD40 or a three in one oil or similar once a month or every six months to assist in the cleaning process and prevent rust.

Bearings

These are the heart of any spindle and should be treated with care, especially in the winter months when a workshop is likely to fluctuate in temperature to a greater degree.

Spindle bearings have a thigh tolerance but like to operate at around 20c or 68f, now +/- 5c or +/- 10f. The spindles can operate in higher/lower temperature environments, but it’s good practice to run them in and allow them to regulate.

As standard, all our spindles go through a run-in procedure as part of the build process. However, if you are taking delivery of a spindle in the winter months, we’d recommend you run an install cycle. We put temperature sensors in some overnight boxes and found they can get very cold through the shipping process, and while this won’t damage a spindle, it’s good practice to do this once installed.

An install cycle is straightforward and can be done post-install with the machine homed. Ensure the BitSetter has not been enabled, and remove the collet and nut.

In midi within CM, enter the command:

1. M3 s8000 and let it run for 5 minuites
  2. M3 s12000 and let it run for 5 minuites
  3. M3 s18000 and let it run for 5 minuites
  4. M3 s24000 and let it run for 5 minuites
  5. M5 - spindle will stop

For those wanting to add this to their quick actions, this code should work:

m3 s8000
g04 p60.
m3 s12000
g04 p60.
m3 s18000
g04 p60.
m04 s24000
g04 p60.
m5

An install cycle will allow you to check the spindle function and warm up the bearing grease to re-distribute.

For general users - this can be run as a much shorter cycle and can again be done once the machine is homed - ensure the bit is in situ and collet/nut tightened before turning the spindle on.

In midi within CM, enter the command:

1. M3 s8000 and let it run for 1 minuites
  2. M3 s12000 and let it run for 1 minuites
  3. M3 s18000 and let it run for 1 minuites
  4. M3 s24000 and let it run for 1 minuites
  5. M5 - spindle will stop

Spindles are great bits of kit and should last many years; the above will help prolong their life.

Happy making,

The C3D team.

12 Likes

Your collet nut looks like it has a crack in two places.

Anthony

Luckily it’s just the reflection of the workshop lights.

1 Like

To add to what @Luke has put up.

I have a 'Quick Action" in Carbide Motion that I run every day before I start making parts. I install the pin that came with my BitZero into the collet on initialization. That way I don’t have to disable and enable the BitSetter. It also puts something in the collet that doesn’t have sharp edges while my warm-up is running. Here is my “Quick Action”

S8000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S10000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S12000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S14000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S16000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S18000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S20000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S22000 M3;
G04 P50.;
S24000 M3;
G04 P50.;
M30;

It takes around 10 minutes that I use to get ready for the day.

I find a lot of utility in an ultrasonic cleaner. A good soapy bath for the collets and collet nuts every week or so keeps them nice.

I also dab a little anti-seize on the collet taper nut threads every now and again.

On each tool change I will blow off the collet, collet nut, and into the taper.

8 Likes

I have a shop vac in my workshop that does not have a hose hooked up to it. I use it to clean the sweepy brushes as aluminum and wood particles get buildup in the hairs, and I take a medium tooth brush and clean out my collet nut on each use as I was getting bits of aluminum in my threads that caused a failure of my collet nut threads over time.
I spin the toothbrush around the inside of the collet while holding it half way inside the front of the intake on the shop vac.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.