How to connect two tiles?

Good morning,
I don’t know… is this a tiling question?

I have an svg that is 11"x11", a page of hexagons, and what I’m trying to do is cut a design 27" long. So I’ve copied this page about 2½ times. I’m having problems ‘joining’? the pages.

In Carbide Create, the design looks proper. But then when I go to toolpath it isn’t…

I’m trying to make this a continuous hexagon.

I’ve been trying to figure it out myself, but I am just spinning my wheels right now. Is this some sort of a boolean operation?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Probably it’s overlapping/redundant geometry confusing things – or could you have left a row of hexagons out of the selection? post the file?

Hi Will,
Thanks for your reply.

sheet of hexagons.c2d (1.3 MB)

I tried several times. the first time I just tried to eyeball the two pages together. Of course that didn’t work, I said “come on dummy, you are working with computers, these need to be precise”.

So the second time I picked points so the X and Y would be exact, where one X stopped I made the page of the next X directly on that point, that still didn’t get it.

The third time, I tried to overlap the last row of hexagons, but that didn’t work either.

So I’ve been looking around through past posts in the forum, (finding a lot of interesting things, but not what I need).

thank you

Your hexagon sizes aren’t uniform, nor are they symmetrical about all planes, which may or may not be unacceptable. So first thing I would do is draw a perfect hexagon.

We’ll need to generate 6 identical sides.
Draw one single straight line between two grid points, and end the drawing. Size doesn’t matter!
Copy, paste that line 2 more times. Take your 3rd line, rotate it 60degrees, then copy and paste that one 3 more times. Take 2 of those lines and then flip them vertical. Looks like this.

Then connect the lines together, letting the nodes snap, and join it

You can then rotate it to your desired orientation, and scale to preferred size. Copy paste that one, and position it beside the first, leaving whatever spacing you like.

Then, take the line tool again, and build a “spacer block”. Snap line points to existing nodes on your hexagon, and build a perfect rectangle, you can then rotate this and snap it to any edge you want, and snap your next hexagons to this, maintaining your spacing.

And through a series of increasingly larger copy-paste functions, all the while moving the spacer block to a new spot for alignment, you’ll eventually have a large sheet of hexagons.

2 Likes

and once you’ve used one of the boolean operations to clean up two sides of it, you can select those, copy paste and start working towards the finish line.

Sheet of bestagons…c2d (566.5 KB)

2 Likes

Good afternoon,
After taking into account @David.Curtis and @WillAdams input. I’ve been still messing with this project. I’ve tried several times, but for various reasons I keep getting bogged down in the computer.
Question: do I need to have the paid version of Carbide Create, because it seems like I don’t have various controls.

I followed David.Curtis’s suggestions about creating vectors and then copying them, but it seems I create many copies of the vectors and they are stacked up on top of one another so I don’t realize there is 4 vectors stacked up. This creates issues when trying to run toolpaths.

Anyway, I have been trying to use CarveCo. I created one hexagon, then ‘blocked’ it to make rows and columns. So now the hexagons are uniform.
Then I created the rectangle border and trimmed the hexagons that were sticking past the rectangle…but now those hexagons are open vectors and won’t be included in the toolpath. I’ve been trying to weld them as one so they would be closed, but I guess that isn’t correct either…

I’m getting frustrated…

Looking at this, it “looks” correct…

But with the vectors not selected, all the border hexagons are purple, or open.

And that is the way it wants to machine the vectors too…

hexagons attempt 4.svg.c2d (525.3 KB)

here is a copy of the file…

Where the open vectors are not on the corners you can select them one at a time and use the join vectors tool.

In the corners since there only four you can use the join vectors tool and then edit vectors. Right click on the new diagonal and add a point. Turn off smoothing and drag the newly created point to the corner node of your boundary box.

2 Likes

Now this is interesting, disable your Advanced V Carve toolpath and select everything. Create a new toolpath using an1/8" endmill with no offset, it all seems to cut.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.