How to contour a 3d object

Hello,

I am trying to contour this 3d model. I upload the 3d model into a square and when applying the 3d rough and finish tool paths, they completely cut this out-without leaving any tabs. If I add a thin base height that still doesn’t solve the problem because then I have to manually cut out the model. If I draw a vector around the model that I can contour that, but that is very time consuming and the vector tracing the model has to be perfect. Is there a recommended way to contour 3d shapes and leaving tabs without having to draw lines around the model manually?

Can you 2-way tape it down?

1 Like

I could use super glue but I find that it creates a mess if it isn’t just applied to the corners.

Could try something like this?:

Import the jpeg you posted of the simulation into CC and trace it. If the resolution of the simulation is high enough, it should give you an accurate contour path which you can add tabs to. Mill your 3d object with some base height and then run the contour you generated from the jpeg.

I have no idea how well (or if) this would work in practice.

this is actually what I ended up doing. It worked great, turned out how I wanted it.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.