How to create dogbone corners for a hinge?

I need to create a hinge for a wooden box. The plan is to later drill a hole through the fingers here and capture a dowel between the outside ends.

In my beta test, I used a drilling operation first to drill out the circles, then just did a contour to cut out the rest of the shape. Not a good idea, as it burned the wood. I guess ideally, I would just overrun the toolpath in the corners, but not sure how to do that.

Screenshot 2021-12-09 134548

If you add a square vector, you have the option of setting the type of corners, and dogbone is an option use a radius half the size of your bit diameter.

The resulting vector can then be subtracted from your vector object…

Leaving you with what I think you requested, just repeat…

5 Likes

Alternately, for circles you can rotate them 45 degrees:

and then drag them into position:

and either Boolean union or subtract (w/ the circle as the key object):

6 Likes

Whatever method you use, it’s a good idea to have the dogbone radius just slightly larger than the cutter radius.

For example, if you are using a 1/4" endmill (radius .125), try a dogbone of radius .127.

If you make is exactly the same size, then imperceptible rounding errors can make the program believe that the cutter won’t fit into the dogbone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.