How to get fine details on a lake?

Hello everyone, I’m sure this is a very newbie question but bear with me. I have had my shapeoko for about a month.

I’m trying to figure out how I can go back after pocketing out a lake and get the fine details from the small creeks and pockets. Is it as easy as creating a contour tool path around the edge of the lake with a 1/32 or 1/16 end mill? Or maybe I can close some of the creeks and pockets off in carbide create and set a tool path to pocket those specific areas? Just thinking out loud here.

Any advice is appreciated!

• Joey

If you have Carbide Create Pro you can use REST machining for small details with smaller tools.

The usual suggestion though is to use V carving (or Advanced V carving) with a suitably acute V endmill — that allows arbitrarily small details.

2 Likes

I cut many many lake maps with contours. I ruff pocket with a 1/4 em then contour with 1/8, 1/16 and if needed 1/32

3 Likes

I’ll have to try that this weekend and see how it goes. Thank you!

use 1/4 em but give it a .300 diam. in tool table that will give you extra material on the contour for finishing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.