How to get Stars in 3D flag

12.354 x 6.5 wavy flag hardwood.c2d (3.5 MB)
I hope this is the right place to put this. Trying to work on my first 3D flag. Trying to get the stars right on this and just can’t get my head wrapped around it. I have read about doing it and watched some videos but it’s just not getting through my thick head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Mike

Because the stars are so small i don’t think you need to use Advanced V Carve. That is only required when using V Carve on a larger design where the V Carve bit cannot cut deep enough to cover the whole design. Change your design to straight V Carve using the #302 60 Degree V Carve Bit. You may need to increase the size of the stars a little also

3 Likes

Thank you I will try both of those.

Here’s a couple flags I did using a 1/4 and 1/16 end mill. Little different design on the stars. Did a two step cut around the stars so not so much cleanup. The second design uses three different bits.

American Flag 1.c2d (692 KB)

American Flag With Outline.c2d (480 KB)

IMG_0749

Added more stars than what shows on the picture
USA Flag

4 Likes

@baricl I was thinking about trying the wavy flag in PVC as a proof of concept and I know you have lots of experience with PVC. Before painting do you do anything to the PVC surface to smooth it? I did a 3D carve of a piece in 3D and is was slightly porous as I recall. Wasn’t important for that piece but for a flag it would be important.

I don’t think PVC would work for a wavy flag. Painting the smooth surface of PVC is not an issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.