How to input new tool geometry

How can I input the geometry for a tool that is a tapered end mill like shown below? If I start with an end mill, there is no input for angle. If I start with a Vee, there is no input for the flat diameter.

Regards,
Dave

Carbide Create does not support that tool geometry at this time.

Why couldn’t you go ahead and use a V-bit geometry just keep in mind the point is missing when programming project. (Factor that out of the equation.)

2 Likes

Dave,
I think Eric is right. I would enter it as a Vcarve. When using a Vcarve operation, the software will keep the cutter tangent to the geometry at all times no matter what depth you are at. What you will want to do is program beyond the missing tip. Use a calculator to figure out the theoretical sharp point and be sure your first cut depth is larger.

In this example, I am trying to solve for a 15 deg Vcarve with a .010" diameter tip flat. I put 7.5 in for “angle b” and .005" for “edge b” and hit calculate. The value in “edge a” tells me to program my first pass depth beyond .038" to insure my 15 degree angle cutter is tangent to my geometry.
https://www.wermac.org/others/convert_right_triangle_calculation.html
Now when setting up your tool, just leave yourself a note on first depth pass.

Does this help?

5 Likes

Scarecrow1120,

That is a fantastic idea. My daughter is doing trig in school right now… maybe I’ll have her do all the calculations. LOL.

Thanks again,
Dave

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.