How to locate Drill Location

I am using Carbide Create to drill multiple holes in a project and of yet
I have not figured out how to locate the spots on the drawing to drill
the hole. Using a small pocket does not make sense - any help

Drill toolpaths are expected to be at the center of circles:

1 Like

got it - Thanks - Will try that

If you need the hole to be in a precise location draw two rectangles that intersect at the corner (or even a single rectangle) with the exact dimensions where you want your hole to be drilled. Then just draw a circle and snap it to the node of the rectangles on the corner at the exact spot you want the hole. Then just delete the rectangle.

1 Like

I am trying to drill 1/16" dia holes on .100 centers
to make cribiage?? boards . I was hoping to make
a group of 20 holes and be able to place the groups
in different locations… The individual hole locations
are precision but the placement of the groups are
to a different grid. Any ideas would be helpful
Thanks

Post the file?

Draw a rectangle which defines the offset and use it as a handle?

I use the array tool to create my groupings for cribbage board holes. Create and select a single circle and then select the array tool.

Set your rows, columns and spacing and hit OK.

You now have your grouping. Same thing goes around curves. Use the linear array tool to setup your 3 or 4 tracks then select all of the circles and choose the circular array.

You can either manually choose the center for x and y or what I like to do is draw a circle or rectangle with a node exactly where I need center to be and then choose “select center in window.” You can selelct the node and it will make the array center match. Choose 5 or ten items and select “arc.” Angle of 180 and hit ok.

With all that done now you can group and duplicate sections of holes for the cribbage board. If you are doing this in really irregular shapes I highly recommend moving out of Carbide Create and into Inkscape or another SVG editing software to use the objects on path features. You can really play around with having the holes follow strange paths. That is how I designed my oval cribbage board I have. I drew three ovals the size I needed and then used object on path. imported the result in Carbide Create for the final tweaking and carving.

3 Likes

Array!! It would be nice if Carbide Create had a manual to describe their
features
Thanks - That;s what i was looking for

1 Like

Please see:

1 Like

I learned a lot about the features by following the forums. When they announce new features it is often here. This was the array feature announcement.

I often don’t know what I am looking for when I start into a manual but the forum kind of tells me what I might want to know and why. I will often check in on the forums while I have a carve going. It helps keep me informed of the new features and also see the amazing work others are doing. The inspiration is really helpful in getting me working on new things.
I recently bought the pro version thanks to enough people on here describing features. There are great videos on my.carbide3d.com for learning the features. This link is the the standard version and the second is for pro.
Getting Started with Carbide Create
Getting Started with Carbide Create Pro

2 Likes

So, Will, I see that a physical book form of the D into 3D is listed on the link. Where is that book available for purchase?

It’s still in the course of being written.

Once it’s done (and copies have been sent to my very patient Kickstarter backers) it will go up on Amazon as a print-on-demand text I guess.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.