How to make hard wood boxes

Hey guys, I’m wondering what direction I should be looking in to make hardwood boxes sort of the equivalent to a dovetail box on a CNC machine.

To help with feedback, do you any particular size or function on mind?

Andy

have you tried any of the drag knives, some of these will lock into your router or spindle. they use a razor style nife to cut, just don’t turn on the router,

I have. They’re very good and carbide3d released a good video on use and limitation. I have cut thin card and sticky back paper.

I’m trying to make some thing that is very similar to a dove towel Drawer box so like 5/8 thick bye 10 inches wide by 20 inches deep or so

What size do you want to make?

Dovetails are problematic since they require a vertical fixture and mounting boards two at a time, and only cutting two boards/one corner at a time, and taking things a bit on faith since Carbide Create can’t model undercuts:

There are a number of other options for joinery, one which is termed “The simple box”:

see:

I’ve tried a number of different joinery techniques:

and see:

I’ve been working on a simpler technique:

If you’ll let us know:

• what size box you wish to make
  • out of what thickness stock
  • what features you would want
  • what sort of joinery you wish to use and what tooling you would cut it with

and we will walk through working up a design with you here.

I’ve been playing with joinery that doesn’t require overhang. My favorite so far is full blind box corners. You can use dog bones to create clearance in the corners and since it’s blind, your never see them:

5 Likes

… And if you’re willing to set the machine up with an overhang, you can do almost anything: AnyTail. CNC Joinery - YouTube

1 Like

This one is fun to watch…

Wow that is sooo cool!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.