How to make Magnetic Clip for BitZero

I am so tired of my alligator clip slipping off bits and want to convert to a magnetic type clip for my V1 BitZero.

I know some of you have done this can you tell me how you did it.

I assume you solder a wire on a washer and then glue the washer to a rare earth magnet and may be cover that with tape or shrink wrap.

How did you do it?

I used one of these https://www.mcmaster.com/3506K34 , cut the clip off of the probe wire, soldered the wire to the magnet and used heat shrink to cover/protect the wire and a portion of the magnet.

I’ve done this for over a year now with no issues. I don’t use anything other than the magnetism of the rare earth magnet to the collet and to the alligator clip. I’m sure it would be even stronger without the hole in the middle of the magnet, but that’s what I had on hand and it’s very strong.

Get these magnets:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnets-Refrigertor-Whiteboard-Durable-Multi-Use/dp/B07C3NX5B2

a flat head M3 machine screw, an M3 nut, and a ring crimp connector with a 3mm hole.

Cut the alligator clip off. Strip back the insulator on the wire. Crimp on the ring crimp connector. Put the machine screw through the magnet and through the ring crimp connector. Screw the nut onto the screw and you are done.

1 Like

What I described is literally how Carbide3D are doing it on the BitZero V2:

2 Likes

Use of a rare earth magnet in a cup bolted to the alligator clip. Blue heat shrink acts as a flag that reminds me I have the probe grounded to the collet.

No soldering required.

Bill

2 Likes

I just put a magnet in the jaws of the alligator clip.

3 Likes

Glad I asked. Many good ideas. Now lets see how long it takes me to implement. :grinning:

Or these, in the UK…

@gdon_2003 Your initial solution is the best IMHO, except don’t ruin your electrical connection to the system with glue. Glue can be an insulator.

Most neodymium magnets available from eBay or elsewhere are plated so they won’t rust. You won’t have any trouble soldering a wire to it.

I used a short section of the original very flexible wire to solder a “pigtail” onto the magnet, because the Shapeoko and my electronics workbench are in separate rooms.

Then I simply spliced it back together and insulated the connection at the machine. Haven’t had any trouble with connections or broken wires in over a year.

1 Like

Hmmm. Simple, not over engineered, effective…What fun is that? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve got both a v1 and a v2, but an issue I’m having with the v2 might tempt me to convert the v1 to a magnetic contact and use that instead.

The only other improvement I would consider is to cable tie the two leads together and find an earthing point on the control board, essentially a single cable like the v2.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.