How to re-draw something from a photo --- crossed kitchen knives

First, source a suitable reference image:

Import it into Carbide Create:

using Set Background:

Then select the Curve tool and begin drawing.

Done

Select the Curve tool:

and click at points around the image so as to create a rough outline:

Note that it is best to place points at sharp points, extrema (top/bottom, left/right), and points of inflection (where a curve changes direction)

Then go into Node Edit mode, zoom in, and begin adjusting node placement and changing nodes into Smooth, and adjusting off-curve nodes until one achieves the desired shape:

(hold down the alt key when dragging off-curve nodes to make an asymmetric curve)

If need be, right-click to insert additional nodes:

Continue until one arrives at:

Repeat for the other knife.

Attached as an SVG:

crossed-kitchen-knives

Use Boolean operations, or the Trim Vectors tool to determine which is on top, or Union them for a silhouette.

7 Likes

Here’s one I’ve been drawing using those same skills you just talked about

This one’s a little more complicated plus I’m using cc pro to make it 3-D

Still need to build the face and put an ear on it.

5 Likes

My vector drawing skills are lacking at best. I’ve used this program to create SVGs from various bitmap images: https://convertio.co/ Usually, there is just a little clean-up after conversion.

Made this plaque for a buddy’s wife.

4 Likes

Yeah, w/ a better/higher-contrast photo I could have used:

1 Like

Boolean in the new version works great. You get to see what the operation will look like. Nice add.

When in design mode, you can click two,3,4,5 vector and under Edit with “join Vectors” there is what looks like an X, this is “vector Cut”. Poor mans Boolean, but it my get you the cut you need.

Some times it is helpful to turn off “Snap to Grid”. Helps you pull vector off grid. You can zoom in deep and do this also. This is in to pull down “view” Tab.

In Edit nodes mode, you can right mouse klick and add new node or You can “Cut Vector” ( poor poor mans Boolean). This is not a clean option and requires some clean up, but it works.

Apologies if this was covered above.

Be safe make some saw dust.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.