How to resume after feed hold in Motion

Elsewhere on this forum I have read that there is a hotkey in Carbide Motion to resume after feed hold (on a Shapeoko 3 with the latest GRBL board), but I couldn’t find it. Does anyone know what’s the best way to resume?
Thanks,
Chris

Press start again and the work will resume where you paused it

Interesting - that’s what I tried first, and it didn’t work. I’ll try again.

If it does not want to restart, it is possible that in the process you have lost your connection to the Shapeoko/Nomad and it just hangs there. I have experienced this type of problem and you have to note the last line of GCode and edit the Gcode to start at that spot by keeping the header and removing the code to that line using a text editor.

1 Like

I have external, physical switches for feed hold and resume.

1 Like

That is something i would like to have, would typ like to share how you did it?

I have external, physical switches for feed hold and resume.

What is the “resume” switch connected to? I didn’t see anything on the board for that. My Feed hold switch is a momentary switch connected to the feed hold pins on the GRBL board. Pressing it briefly pauses the program and retracts the Z.

Sorry guys, I forgot it wasn’t built in to the board.
On my version of the board there were pins for an e-stop connection. I believe that was wired to pin 0 which is the reset. I recompiled the grbl source to use that pin as a resume switch.
Quick version:
In the grbl source code, in cpu_map.h change:
#define CONTROL_RESET_BIT 0
to
#define CONTROL_RESET_BIT 2
And change:
#define CONTROL_CYCLE_START_BIT 2
to
#define CONTROL_CYCLE_START_BIT 0

Recompile and flash to board.

Now the “E_Stop” on the C3D board (my version) will act as a “Resume”

1 Like

Is this configuration still applicable to the new boards?

Is your configuration possible on the latest Carbide boards.

Not exactly. Looks like the newer boards have A3 broken out to a through hole near the atmega328 chip. If you wired a switch between that and ground and:
In the grbl source code, in cpu_map.h change:
#define #define COOLANT_FLOOD_BIT 3
to
#define #define COOLANT_FLOOD_BIT 2
And change:
#define CONTROL_CYCLE_START_BIT 2
to
#define CONTROL_CYCLE_START_BIT 3

Recompile and flash to board.

This is not really tested, but, if you’ve used a soldering iron before, the soldering is pretty trivial. (I would trust one of my 8th graders to do it after we’ve soldered a couple small boards).
If you’ve never used the arduino IDE or anything like it, I’d get an arduino Uno (everyone should have a couple anyway) and practice installing grbl on it a few times before doing it to your C3D board. It’d be tough to do any major damage, but I can’t say I’d recommend doing this unless you feel comfortable.

I’ve got over 36 years soldering and unsoldering electronic components.

I’m still researching and collecting data / info on Feed Hold and Resume. Hence I stumbled on one of your comments.

That should be adequate! :wink:

Just need to figure out how to flash or what’s needed to flash the eprom with an updated code.

Technically, your EEPROM will remain untouched. The reason that’s important is because all of your $$ grbl settings will be retained.

Why the difference in code change … new C3D board version/pin out location.

Yup…mine has the RESET pin broken out. The new ones don’t. Mine does NOT have the A3/COOLANT pin available.

Once the code is remapped … will CM change the new mapping configuration back to default if CM send configuration button is pressed.

This is my biggest issue I have with CM defaulting back to default settings for my $100, $101 and $102 belt tension calibration updates.

No.

You shouldn’t need to press that other than the first time you set up the machine or want to restore C3D defaults or change hardware (HDZ, XL upgrade, etc).

This was bad advice. Although it seemed to work, I eventually realized that the e-stop pin on older boards (2.3 & 2.2) was not simply tied to the RESET pin. There is some logic built in to the boards to disable the steppers when that pin is connected to ground. I was lucky for a long time and didn’t notice it (I press switches fast, I guess). Once I did notice, I spiraled down a hole of searching for bugs in software and then finally noticed the steppers disabling.
Anyway, I’m sorry if anyone followed my lead.
I could probably start cutting traces on the PCB, but my eyes are fried from trying to follow traces so I think I’ll go back to a nice ol’ ~ for now.

:man_facepalming:

4 Likes