How to zero changed bit manually

I’m doing a job that needs two bit changes. I an old dude and haven’t made friends yet with my bit setter yet and don’t want to at this time. Maybe this summer that will happen. This is an S4 system.

Any way, the first bit is a 60 degree and when that is finished the gantry takes the router straight back for a bit change - and that is where I’m stumped - I’ve forgotten HOW to get the “Z” ZERO set again.

Nothing on the menus that I can see that will help and the gantry is locked for the resume. Do I need to go through the re-initialization again?

OR, what steps do I need to get it zeroed on “Z” again.

To do this without a BitSetter enabled and configured you will need to have the tools in separate files.

Run the tool with the first file normally, then load the second tool, then set zero for Z (XY should remain unchanged), then run the second file.

HEY WILL:
Yes, I do have 3 different files for the gcode for each bit I use.
That IS my problem, re-setting that “Z” back to Zero.

Because the gantry is locked in the bit change mode and there is no way to change that unless I disengage the gantry. When I do that I will be able to move the gantry, but will it keep/hold the “X” & “Y” positions or should I just ZERO ALL again?

And, what does that to to the NEXT Tool Change?

At the end of a file with a single tool the machine should lift, then stop after running the file to the end.

HI WILL:
Yes, it does that - and it moves straight back for the bit change.
I did that and wondered HOW I was going to get that new tool zeroed out.

There doesn’t seem to be anything in CM that allows for easy Zeroing. The only thing I could think of disengaging the gantry.

I’ll go back out and try running through it again.

The easy zeroing option is enabling the BitSetter.

Well, I don’t really want to go through that learning curve until summer.
SO, how was this done BEFORE the Bit Setters were active?

Write out a separate file for each too, set the Z-axis zero manually in-between each tool.

See:

Are you sure it’s for a bit change? Are you getting prompted to change the bit?
At the end of a file, it should move up, then back, then just stop. At that point you should be able to jog & set zero, and load a new file.

You have the bitsetter disabled, right? (In the software, CM setup)
Which post are you using?

1 Like

Power up and initialize. In CM install the new tool for first tool path. Set your X Y and Z zeros.

With 3 separate files run the first one and the machine will finish the first tool path and return to the rear. Then go through CM and change the tool and then just do a zeroing process for the Z. The X and Y are still set from the first tool path. Then load the second file and run that. You will be prompted for the new tool which you have already installed between the first and second files. Same thing for the 3rd tool path. You will be setting Z zero with the paper method if you are not using the BitZero.

1 Like

I forgot above that is trying to do Advanced Vcarve you cannot do that without BitSetter. However the user fenrus has a link to a github app that will split an advanced vcarve into two tool paths.

Quote: Then go through CM and change the tool and then just do a zeroing process for the Z. The X and Y are still set from the first tool path. Then load the second file and run that. End Quote

My problem is - that the gantry is locked up with the process of changing the bit! It won’t move unless I shut it down to get the “Z” Zeroed! There is no hurry for this as it isn’t a rush job. I’ll just power it down, reset the gantry and bit to the 0,0,0 point and continue with the new file from there.

Thanks for the replies guys! The forum has been a great help. I get a lot out of it even if I’m not using all of those tips presently.

When the tool path completes the router moves to the back. In the run menu use the change tool and the gantry should come to the front. Change tool and then use jog to move to material and zero z. Then load file and hit run. Router should come and request tool.

I use BitZero and Bitrunner so if router does not come to front use jog and rapid positions to change bit.

I’ll try that tomorrow after I get home from our local (Kokomo) CNC Mtg.
That sounds reasonable as it unlocks the gantry as well. Thanks for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

IF it works, and it should, I will take the time to type out the Instructions and place those in my book.