I am restoring a 1963 Delta 11-100 DP

There is a chrome inspection port on the top of the head casting. The cover is a friction fit and was badly rusted. I took the whole DP apart and al the parts went into Evaporust. When I started cleaning the cover the printed DELTA logo just washed off.

I was thinking about trying to use the McEtcher to engrave the Delta logo back onto the inspection port cover. I have CC Pro and the inspection is slightly domed. So how would you suggest I engrave the logo back onto the inspection cover. Here is a picture from a vintage machine site with the logo. The part in question is the round one with the Delta and Triangle logo.

If using McEtcher I would color in the engraving with red paint.

Would you suggest usage of the McEtcher or the #501/#502 engraving bits? I should be able to get the logo from some website that would be better than the picture above. My 1963 Delta Drill Press is almost identical to the one in the picture. I was able to save the bonnet Delta logo but that one is fine and only needs painting and polishing.

You only get one chance here.

It looks like the rounding exceeds the spring variation of the M.C. Etcher, so the only option is to model the rounding in 3D, then apply a toolpath which matches that. We’ve discussed doing this for geographic projects here in the past — do you have Carbide Create Pro?

Do you or a friend have a pantograph? If so, that and a small engraving tool would probably be the most expedient option.

It might work to cut a mask, apply that, then do some etching — if the logo on the button is still visible this could be done by hand, say coat with melted wax, then scratch away where the logo is.

Another option might be to just store the button somewhere safe and to fabricate a replacement until you can address this.

1 Like

@gdon_2003 Guy, I have a pantograph just laying around the shop. If you’d like it let me know and I’ll box it up for you. Just cover the postage and it’s yours.

2 Likes

Nice! Curious to see how it ends up.

I have a bunch of fully restored Delta stuff.

22-101 Planer
DP-220 drill press
12" disc sander
14" bandsaw
Unisaw
8" potbelly jointer
1460 lathe (still in process of restoring)

probably forgetting something…

1 Like

Thank you Ed but I think I will try to print a transparent piece. I have the design made in CC but can export it as an SVG and try to print it. I still need to shine up the inspection plate and/or paint it.

If you remember I sent you the SO3 t-tracks. Thanks. :cowboy_hat_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I do. They are still in use nearly everyday on my SO3.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.