I cut my very first Cut today - what's next?

I got my shapeoko 4 XL back in May 22, and then experienced some nasty health issues that meant it sat only partly assembled and, along with the rest of my shop, idle.

I’m back on my feet, life is good and today, I cut my first project - a simple Text Sign for my house.

All I did was lay out the text and create a pocket tool path to carve the letters into the wood. it came out great, and the machine worked just fine with only a minor adjustment needed.

So, now I am looking at the sign and thinking it would be better if the text stood proud, and the rest of the sign was cut back - basically the “invert” of carving out the letters.

I’m struggling to see a way to do that in Carbide Create - I’m trying to create an effect like this street sign; Street sign for Sauchiehall Street in the city centre, Glasgow, Scotland, UK Stock Photo - Alamy any tips?

1 Like

Put a vector around the perimeter and then choose that and the letters at the same time and pick an Advanced Vcarve path.

Use your V But and also define a regular
1/4 or 1/8 end mill as the pocket clearing tool.

Glad you are back on your feet and at the machine.

4 Likes

Second what Cullen said - advanced v carve with pocket tool enabled.

1 Like

Thanks - that’s exactly what I was looking for!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.