I had a random thought about bar code

This was prompted by another thread about permanent fixture plates. I was thinking about marking such fixtures with a barcode. Could there be some kind of Carbide Motion integration to a scanner recall files, origin point, feeds and speeds notes. Just dreaming out loud. Thanks Joe C

1 Like

I think you could do this sort of integration by having a shortcut program which has a list of the barcodes and their matching commands which it then plays back to Carbide Motion — this isn’t something which we can support though.

You might want to look into other tools such as bCNC which are programmable.

1 Like

I absolutely love this idea.

In a truly serendipitous turn of events, I’ve got an industrial barcode scanner and a fiber laser on the way already. They are for various other projects buuuut…I know what my first project is going to be now :heart:

I’ll make sure to post about how it works when I get around to it :smiley:

Not a “barcode.” Use a QR code. You might be able to store all of your data within the code.

3 Likes

Unless you have an automated way to use the data, you might as well just etch the data on the fixture & save yourself the step of scanning it before entering the data.

Or as Well mentioned, create macros to set the parameters & you could just number the fixtures.
i.e. Fixture_Macro_1…

1 Like

But how can I overly complicate the situation?! Generally, i will make notes on scraps of paper and then loose that paper. I think your suggestion wins the day. Thanks. - Joe C.

1 Like

You mean to tell me you don’t want to integrate your CNC into your home assistant ecosystem :rofl:

Well suit yourself, I’m trying it regardless :melting_face: (it’s going to go poorly and end in frustration… but I’m ok with that :grin:)

Alexa, start my CNC and load job123.C2D

Bonus if she can mount the stock and zero it.

3 Likes

Automation is achieved in stages, one foot in front of the other and before you know it… you’re bored and looking for the next thing to automate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have most of my lights and some of my dust collection done. If only I could automate getting the kids ready for bed. Or better yet, automate my real job (without the boss knowing) so that I could spend more time in the workshop.

3 Likes

Speaking of automation, I just bought this and used it last night.

It seems like a dumb thing but it was pretty nice and did a good job of being consistent in the mixing while I could do other things. Makes it easier to do a thorough job mixing as opposed to me getting bored and rushing it.

Every time you turn it on the direction changes for the previous one. So, I would occasionally turn it off and back on.

5 Likes

It’s not so dumb. It’s a bit much for mixing a spot of epoxy to patch your reading glasses but i had a friend who was mixing alot of epoxy to cover a table top. I tried to help, but was chastised for whipping too much air and bubbles in to the epoxy. It would be handy there.

1 Like

I generally just take a wooden tongue depressor and chuck it in my drill and go crazy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.