I made a tool to help generate boxes

I didn’t like the boxes available for generating boxes online like:

https://www.makercase.com/
or
https://boxes.hackerspace-bamberg.de/boxes.py

but I like the idea of them.

I thought I should share what I made here and solicit some feedback:

https://xadiant.github.io/CNC-BoxMaker/



Tested on cheap plywood, but was pretty happy how it came out. I started thinking of all the features I could add, like making the edges look nicer by leaving a thin part of your board remain to hide the joinery, or include a lid. Also other varieties of boxes and joinery is possible, if you have a suggestion I’ll take it :slight_smile:

Just wanted to give away and share.

4 Likes

I’ve been looking into this sort of thing for a while now:

and

and here’s a screengrab of a current effort:

EDIT: updated a bit (more):

I mislike visible box joints (esp. with dogbones), so have instead been working on approaches such as:

and:

https://cutrocket.com/p/67b86d0d17056

As implied above, I think the “Simple Rabbeted Box” would be the perfect starting point:

and it has the precedent of having an extant, though unfortunately obsolete, generator:

https://chaunax.github.io/projects/twhl-box/twhl.html

and the new support for layers in DXFs allows one to do things such as generate a DXF:

h

and import it into a matching template file:

(and rearrange w/ nesting if need be)

and get a file ready to cut quite quickly:

1 Like

Wow, what a writeup!

Yeah, I stumbled into the dxf layers during this project and immediately used the layer name to denote the pocket depth, it makes the workflow wayyy nicer.

My priority was my immediate single use-case, and because the nature of this first usage was form over function: I prioritized it being good with a single tool and a single setup… I have not played with mounting anything off the front of the machine yet, but I would love to start playing with a dovetail mill.

Here is the inspiration for the prettier joinery I mentioned, which also lets me keep to using a single tool and only cut from the top: https://youtu.be/feY6zfvQ3e0?t=1113

Ill have to take a closer look at your github project later, its too late for my brain to process much right now haha.

I did a fair bit with the vertical joinery thing:

https://cutrocket.com/p/5cb536396c281

but after working with them for a while, grew to mislike them for a couple of reasons:

  • it requires multiple setups — at least 3: first cut all parts to size; second mount four boards and cut two pairs of joints at two corners; third, rotate boards into the correct orientation and cut the balance of the joints

  • potential for error

  • joint geometry limited by tool geometry

  • end grain is like a belly button, you know (almost) everyone has one (knew one guy who had his removed in surgery when it was deemed that there was no viable way to preserve it), but mostly, one doesn’t want to see them…

  • if I’m going to cut dovetails, might as well do it by hand:

1 Like

Added “hidden finger” type joinery.

Also many other joinery types, render styles, and other features.

4 Likes