I really like CM, but

Been using Carbide motion for years and it is great except for…

The names of the tools are hard coded in the code, It sure would be nice if you could turn them off or better yet have an external file that you could edit to assign a name to a tool number.

If you add a new tool to CC, the name doesn’t show in CM.

You could use a piece of paper listing the tool number vs the name, but this can get out of date and in these years of AI, come on, this should be a no brainer.

I have destroyed wood by putting in the wrong bit cause I went by the description and not the number. ( I use Vcarve so different numbers for bits)

It would be even more fool proof if the M6 gcode could include the text description of the bit. This would require a whole bunch of companies to support it, but it sure would make life easier.

Again, in these days of computers and software, this is not rocket science. It doesn’t even require AI.

I’m gonna go complain to the Vectric folks too.

Now, I’ll get off my soap box.
Sheldon

BTW, I prefer this list over facebook as it is easier, and seems to have better response

It should (for the last year or so, at least). CC drops the tool descriptions into the G-code, and CM reads them from there. Only the defaults are hardcoded into CM now.

1 Like