I this may be hard to explain

I am thinking of a milling feature that allows the milling of a circular hole using a smaller End Mill that starts in or toward the middle of the hole and gradually gets larger to the expected diameter.
sort of like this.
Circular Ramping

I want to use an .125 end mill to create a .25 hole but in smaller increments than one pass around the hole.
Does this make sense?
The example image is for enlarging the diameter of a hole, but I want to use the same pattern for creating the hole all together.

You would want to draw this as a spiral.

For bonus points the toolpath would describe a helix which increases in depth.

Carbide Create doesn’t support this, but if using semi-circles it’s pretty easily hand-coded in G-Code w/ a bit of math using G2 arcs:

G21 (use metric)
G0 X0 Y0 Z1 (rapid to 1mm above origin)
G1 Z0 F200 (plunge to surface of stock at 200mm/min)
G2 X0 Y-1.5875 Z-0.5 I0 J-0.79375 F400 (tight clock-wise arc from origin to bottom perimeter of circle at 400mm/min)
G2 X-1.5875 Y0 Z-1 I0 J1.5875 (clock-wise arc from bottom to left)
G2 X0 Y1.5875 Z-1.5 I1.5875 J0
G2 X1.5875 Y0 Z-2 I0 J-1.5875
G2 X0 Y01.5875 Z-2.5 I-1.5875 J0

The G2 arc command specifies clock-wise, the origin is the current position, and the specified coordinates are the endpoint for the arc, while I and J indicate the distance to the centerpoint the arc is struck from from the current position.

Just continue the code down, incrementing Z until one arrives at the bottom, then do a circle at that depth so as to have a flat bottom pocket. Note that it may be desirable to pull out to clear chips (peck drilling).

Sounds similar to Trochoidal Milling.

I think he wants Carbide Create to do all of the heavy lifting.

There you go!!!
I am not good at math. I am not a Gcode wizard.
I like a software to do things for me. More newby friendly so to speak.

1 Like

Add an off center circle or two that fits in the desired hole, then a final contour pass around the desired result to clean it up?

1 Like

I’m a math major…and STILL think the software needs to do the work!

Come to think of it, before you go and code all this in GCODE manually, start by pressing some metal plates into a 1/8" cylinder, and carve in some flutes…and sharpen them REALLY sharp. Then, using the plans for a Makita router and an old vacuum you buy on ebay, build yourself a spindle. You might want to get some silicon and build a small computer as well…THEN move forward to coding. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you you are willing to try your hand with Fusion 360, it has a boring tool path option.
What you want to do is pretty standard for milling holes, so you aren’t out of line for wanting to do this.

I had installed Carbide Create when I purchased my Pro, but never used it. If I was forced to use it to drill holes, I would draw two circles, one at 1/4" for the final, and another inside of it at, say, 7/32". I would use the pocket tool path on the inner circle, and then follow up with a contour toolpath for the outer circle for the final.

Is there software that can do all you suggest? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I have Fusion360. It just would be nice to have one software that does it all that is user friendly.

2 Likes

Sure! I believe it’s owned by Amana and Freud, and Whiteside!

I am surprised to see that CC doesn’t offer lead ins, and lead outs for the contour toolpaths, or is that in the “Pro” version?

It is not in the Pro version — it’s simply something which is not in the current versions of the program — the only features which Pro adds are:

• 3D modeling
  • 3D toolpaths
  • Engraving toolpath

In the past, I’ve tried to track and list all the CAD/CAM apps, and there aren’t any which really suit me. I wish that there was one which:

• was as natural and fluid to draw in as Macromedia Freehand
  • afforded the programmability of OpenSCAD (Freehand at least had PostScript strokes and fills which it inherited from Altsys Virtuoso)
  • allowed easy and natural 3D modeling, both structured/programmed, and free-form
  • afforded a direct mapping of design to G-Code w/ a variety of tools
1 Like

How is this different in the Pro versus following a contour in the other?

It also infills a closed path.

See:

for a work-around.

1 Like

The engraving toolpath is primarily for diamond drag bits to outline and fill in areas with those. CNC etching.

1 Like

So, if you don’t plan on getting a diamond drag bit it’s no great loss?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.