Ideas for finishing this project

So I finish the project for a friends going away. I can’t for the life of me come up with how I want to finish it. I got to get it done before Monday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It’s cut in glued pine boards.

it’s a taste thing, but I tend to like as much as possible just showing the wood.
If you have butcherblock oil/wax… that works.

If the thing is going to stay inside, butcherblock treating things (there’s several types from oils to waxes) are just fine… while something like the various polys will leave a bit of a “plastic look”.

4 Likes

My wife wants to paint it but I just don’t know. Like you I’m into showing off the wood. However, this being glued pine boards you can see the lines so it becomes a distraction when looking at it. I feel that paint may be the only thing that will sort of cover that up.

you could do a half paint; paint the airforce logo/text and maybe the back of the clock, but not the rest. At least I have found that when I paint a whole thing rather than accents/portions, it ends up feeling a bit artificial (especially if you use acrylic)

tip for painting with acrylic: Sand the things you don’t want to paint with 220 grit or so. Then paint and let the thing dry… even if you paint a bit over the edges.
Once it’s dry, another round with 220 grit with an orbital sander gets you very sharp edges
and the initial sanding makes it easier to sand it off later

btw for darker woods I use
https://smile.amazon.com/Ultimate-Walnut-Oil-Mahoneys-Finishes/dp/B001F7JUDK/ (also available at rockler and other places)

and for lighter woods I use

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G6X0J2

(if you’re going to buy something, I recommend something food safe… at some point you’re going to make trays or cutting boards or … and might as well just have all your finishing oils to be food safe already)

1 Like

For future reference try Easy Shelf Adhesive paper. You can get it a Lowes and Walmart. Paint the base color and then let it dry. Then apply the Adhesive shelf paper. Do your carving. That will mask your base color. Then use an airbrush and/or brush with acrylic paint. When the acrylic paint is dry peel off your mask and touch any parts that need it.

For now you could just use a 1/8 brush and paint the colors in being careful. Keep a damp cloth nearby to clean up any over painting. It takes a little while but not more than an hour or two.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.