Idiots guide for creating a wasteboard

As the title says, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for an idiots guide to creating a secondary spoilboard for my pro xl. Right now i’ve just been learning the machine with a small piece of surfaced mdf held down with a few clamps and my practice stock held down on that with double sided tape. I’ve been putting this off as long as i can but i think its time to finally try making my own spoilboard before tackling any real projects. Basically what i would like to end up with is a piece of mdf roughly the size of my work area with a series of holes with the threaded inserts from C3D which i can utilize for maximum work holding options. Any advice on the best way to get started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

While not specifically for the Pro, I wrote a bit about this sort of thing at:

and c.f.,

Basically you’ll just want to cut a piece of MDF to the size of your working area and machine holes in it to secure it to the T-track, and then machine holes for the threaded inserts. I’d suggest some additional holes to put a spoil board on top if it, so you have 3 (4 depending on how you’re counting) layers):

• alu. hybrid T-track
  • MDF filler strips
  • MDF threaded insert board
  • MDF spoil board

I created this doc for Shapeoko 3, XL and XXL but the Shapeoko 4 and 4 Pro are applicable.

spoilboard_considerations.pdf (1.3 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks for the great info, it’s very useful.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.